Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Indoor climbing wall mounted on drywall

Old 01-21-06, 07:47 PM

Has anyone built or put up a small indoor climbing wall?
I'd like to build one in my finished basement for my very young daughter (who loves to climb everything). My thought was to use covered 3/4inch plywood, and screw it directly onto the studs.
Is there any experience out there that you'd be able to share?

Last edited by CanadianMoose; 01-24-06 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-06, 06:52 PM
I don't have any experience with climbing walls, although if a 3/4" sheet of plywood was mounted to wooden studs using glue and screws, it would most likely be very secure, as flooring is 1/2 plywood affixed to the floor joists and it holds up everything in your house.

You also want to make sure that the studs are attached to the rest of the house properly to support the weight so the plywood and wall don't come crashing down.

You may want to check with swingset manufacturers and see either what they do, or buy one of thier units and put it in the basement and attach it to your walls the same way they do to thier sets. If they are attaching it to joists and studs, they may have special brackets that will assure your daughter will be a safe climber.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-25-06, 08:34 PM
If you're just building a vertical wall, that should be fine.

If you're building a 45deg wall or overhanging wall, obviously there's more work involved, including framing, a kicker and backer plate, ceiling braces, etc.