Newbie questions

Old 01-23-06, 12:00 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Newbie questions

Sorry, i know this has been posted somewhere but i cant find the SEARCH button!! (i am new to this forum). My house is 4 years old and i have a few drywall questions:
1.some of the nail heads in the ceiling are coming out. What is the best way to fix them?
2. The trim around the tray ceiling is bucked and separated? What is the best way to fix ?
3. In my brillance, i stepped on the drywall from the attic and cracked the ceiling.(Not all of the way through) How do i fix that?

I am trying to get ready to sell the house so i was just trying to fix it up a bit.
Thanks in advance for your replies. If someone will tell me where the search button is, i can research this myself....

Old 01-23-06, 03:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums

#1 knock the nails back in [add one if needed] then spackle or mud over the nail head - may take 2 coats

#2 I assume its crown mould - can you renail it? Caulking will hide small gaps.

#3 First make sure the rock is sound and secure it to the rafters. The fix may be as simple as spackling the crack or it may need to be taped and refinished in that area. Does the ceiling have a texture?

There is a search button at the top of the page - I don't know how well it works

Old 01-23-06, 04:21 PM
G
Thanks for the reply.
The tray ceiling problem is with the metal around the corners.
With regard to #3, the rock is sound and there is no texture to the ceiling.

Old 01-23-06, 06:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Since it is corner bead that is loose, it will need to be renailed and mudded until smooth.

Having a slick finish ceiling will make it easier to repair.

Old 01-24-06, 02:35 AM
M
If I have a nail coming out of drywall (called a "popper"), I pull the nail out and install a screw about 1 inch away; then fill both holes with joint compound.

The bead on the tray will need to be recoated. If it is only a hairline crack it may be o.k. to just coat. If the metal is peeling away, it will need to be nailed back in as Marksr said.

If the crack on the ceiling is on a joint, retaping might be all that is needed. If you cracked the middle of the board, you may try putting a scrap piece of 2x4 or 2x6 behind the crack and screwing both sides of the crack into that. (It may take 2 people, 1 in the attic, and 1 running the screwdriver below).

Then finish it in the normal fashion using paper tape, regular mud, and blend it by feathering 12" on each side of the joint.

I hope this helps

Old 01-24-06, 03:15 AM
G
Thanks for the help. The drywall contractor for my house was not very good in my opinion. It is nice to know that those poppers are kinda common though

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: