Wallpaper

Old 01-23-06, 09:01 PM
Wallpaper

We have been working on getting the wallpaper off of our plaster walls for a few days now. After much labor we can get off the plastic outer coating and then the paper backing. Our problem is with this green rubbery glue type substance that seems to stay stuck on the wall. We are using DIF and a scraper and it is a terrible job. Takes 1/2 hour to scrap off a 1 ft section. We have let the DIF set for 15-20 min. but it is still not wanting to come off. We also have a power steamer and that doesn't work for the glue.

Any other suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-06, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might try using paint thinner. I doubt anything will remove the glue easily but maybe it will work better.

Old 01-24-06, 06:35 PM
Make sure your scraper has a sharp edge as well. The easiest way to sharpen it is to lay a 150 grit sandpaper on a flat surface, hold the knife (5" or 6") at about a 15 degree angle off the table, and move it in a circular motion for about 20 seconds. Flip to the other edge and do it again. BE CAREFUL! the edge will be sharp as a knife!

(If the edge is too rounded, you may need to do it longer, although sharp knives work a lot better than the "off the shelf" edge they come with from the store.)

Drywall finishers usually sharpen the edges of thier knives every day. If they get knicked, they have to sharpen them so it doesn't leave a ridge on the wall.

Old 01-25-06, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. We have razor blade knives that we are using and replacing the blade often. We are so fed up with this that we are emotional wrecks (We've been doing lots of remodeling over the past few weeks) so we are going to paint over the glue. We basically don't care anymore and can't live in the chaos (the kitchen).

My question is: would an oil based or latex based primer/sealer be better? I want to have the least chance for a chemical type reaction with the primer and glue.

Old 01-25-06, 09:01 AM
While it creates some trim issues... you might consider laying 1/4 inch drywall over the existing wall (I've never found it - but am told it exists)....

Old 01-25-06, 10:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt you will find 1/4" rock at any big box but all drywall supply houses should carry it.

Old 01-25-06, 04:28 PM
Another possibility, if it is just glue, is to skim it over with a thin layer of joint compound and then sand lightly. It will at least be smooth.

I am not familiar enough to give advice on possible reactions with paints, although if a solvent based primer loosens it, perhaps mineral spirits will take off the glue.

Search this Thread