Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I have created a drywall problem

01-25-06, 12:26 AM   #1  
I have created a drywall problem

I am redoing a bathroom where they had the tile creeping over into the sink and toilet area, so we cut it off and are going to paint there instead. However, when I cut away the drywall over to the tub - I didn't think about splitting the stud.

I have a photo of what conidtion I currently have going on.

Is there any rememdy for this to make sure the tub tile and the new drywall will both be stable?

I really don't want to rip out all the tile and redo the bathwall tile as I've never done it and don't know if I would be able to get it done when I would need to.

Thank you
SEE IMAGE HERE http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/bc/3d9560d_...Wvz1DBNcl5Rq9_

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

01-25-06, 05:11 AM   #2  
the link doesn't work for us. It's a pathway to your "My Documents" folder.

It sounds like what you need to do is insert a 1x4 flat behind the drywall edge. Screw the existing drywall to one side of the 1x4, then you will be able to screw the new drywall to the rest of the 1x4.

01-25-06, 09:27 AM   #3  
That's weird. It should go to my "yahoo briefcase". Maybe it was just down. The side that already exists has tile on it except at the top. Is there any way to secure it using liquid nails etc?

Check the image again - maybe it was just down. I don't know why but I can't post attachments in the forums.

Thanks again
Tim

Group Moderator

NE

01-25-06, 10:23 AM   #4  
Apparently you're pasting a link to something you have saved on your computer. You need to paste the link where your pictures are posted, straight from Yahoo. Such as, visit http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos then click on your picture, then copy that link so that others can view those pages (provided you've made it public to begin with). Here's an example of what the link should be like: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thexsl...&.dnm=daba.jpg

Notice how the link above ends with the extension .jpg? Your link ends with a bunch of numbers after the .jpg extension.

In your case, yes, you'd probably want to slap glue (pl200) on the 1x4, then wedge it in place with another scrap of wood that would brace it against the other side of the wall.

Additionally, you could put in horizontal backing- 2x4's between the studs, but that would require several pieces instead of just one. However it would probably result in a stronger joint, provided you can get back into the wall cavity behind the tile and toenail (or screw) that end of the 2x4 to something.

If you cut the drywall off flush with the tile, you're going to have a hard time taping that joint.

Search this Thread