Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

tin ceilings in bathrooms

01-27-06, 02:48 PM   #1  
tin ceilings in bathrooms

I'm getting ready to install some tin ceilings (2' x 4' sheets) in a hallway and a bathroom. I've noted that the preferred installation method is nail up onto ferring strips, but I was concerned about having the half inch or so space between the tin ceiling and the existing ceiling in a bathroom environment, that is, a potential place for moisture condensation. (although we have a very good exhaust fan in this bathroom) Affixing the panels directly to the existing ceiling, along with a couple coats of paint on the tin panels should give a vapor tight barrier one would think. Has anyone used adhesives to hang a ceiling (some nails into the joists can be added for good measure) Any recommondations of types?

Or am I being too overly concerned about the possibility of trapped moisture, and just hang the ceiling the conventional way on ferring strips and try to seal up the best I can?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-27-06, 05:02 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

Unfortunately I don't have any advise. I've painted both new and old tin ceilings and I love the look. Just wanted to congradulate you on your choice of ceiling material I painted a new tin ceiling in a bath rm on a basement remodel a few years ago but I don't know how they were installed.

I would think your plan would work. Hopefully someone will reply that has installed those beautiful panels. Wish you luck

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

01-27-06, 05:40 PM   #3  
Thanks for the welcome! And Wow, what a neat, diverse site this is here!

Yes, we've moved into a 70 year old home (that's really in pretty good shape!) and definitely want to keep/convert it back to its original glory.
The bath still has its original tile walls and floors, and wifey thought the classic tin ceiling would look good here (and I think she's right! )
Hopefully someone will comment by Sunday....the day I'm hoping to get started on it.

01-30-06, 05:35 PM   #4  
well after thinking about it some more and wanting to get going on it, I'm going ahead with the tried and true method using ferring strips. Looking closely at the ceiling, I suspect the ferring strips will even out and hide imperfections better.....which it most important!

Search this Thread