Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall Technique?

01-31-06, 07:57 AM   #1  
Drywall Technique?

I need some help here as I know nothing about drywalling, and always like a second opinion! My remodeler/contractor is installing my basement drywall using a technique involving sponging and smoothing off the mud, as opposed to sanding it. (??)
Does anyone have an opinion of , or experience with, this method, pros and cons etc.? I am a perfectionist only when it comes to doing things correctly and well, not in how they look necessarily. Thanks again

Sponsored Links

01-31-06, 08:01 AM   #2  
Smoothing the mud with a sponge can work just as well as sanding, with none of the mess!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-31-06, 09:32 AM   #3  
IMO sanding does a better job BUT using a wet sponge eliminates all that dreaded drywall dust. Your contractor is looking out for you as drywall dust tends to get everywhere

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

02-01-06, 02:07 PM   #4  
Thanks to AviDYer

I can understand it's good for all concerned to limit dust, althoug I have the basement vents closed off for my comfort.
I just hope I will be satisfied with the results!
Thanks for the tips!

PA

02-01-06, 02:33 PM   #5  
My opinion is that sanding gives a better job with less potential for "swirls", but around here everything is done by sanding, and no walls in new construction are ever textured. So it isn't that you won't get a smooth wall, it is just not what I am used too.

My .02

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-01-06, 06:50 PM   #6  
Drywall dust isn't just a concern in the already finished portion of your home but no matter how good the clean up more dust is always found

Since you are the one with the check book just make sure that the walls are to your satisfaction and/or he will come back and fix any defects apparent after painting.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread