Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

which corner bead to use

PA

02-03-06, 08:48 AM   #1  
which corner bead to use

Hi:
At a local home improvement store I found corner beading made of metal, vinyl, and paper with metal.
Question: for new drywall installation, when do I use these different materials?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links

KS

02-03-06, 01:43 PM   #2  
You can use any one of the beads on outside corners. The vinyl holds up better in wet areas and to dents. The big difference is how you put them on. the metal bead you can nail or crimp and tape. The vinyl you can glue. And the paper is mudded on. The other type of bead is called flex bead. Comes in a roll and is used on off angles(other than 90 deg.)

PA

02-04-06, 02:34 AM   #3  
Ditto on coops28

Adding: if you used metal studs, and did not pack the outside corners with wood, you wood (pun) probably be better off using the plastic bead and an adhesive instead of trying to use metal.

The metal strip also works on outside corners, although provides little reinforcement against damage.

My .02

PA

02-04-06, 03:56 AM   #4  
thanks for the advice (worth way more than $.02!).

followup question: it's a basement remodeling project, so vinyl seems the appropriate choice. do corners need a special finishing piece? (i seem to remember seeing something about this on a web site.)

again, thanks for the information.

PA

02-04-06, 04:36 AM   #5  
No, the corner bead is all that is needed for the outside corners. You will obviously enter "the fine world of mudding" to coat the bead after it is installed.

Should you find that "the Kinders" are racing like the Indy 500 and bashing the corners, you can put a clear "corner protector" strip over the bead to prevent dings, although they are usually only used for wall papered areas.

*Note: plastic bead won't ding like metal bead will, and any dings can crack the joint compound in any situation.

Your bill is up to .04 now

MA

02-07-06, 01:30 PM   #6  
I finished my basement a year ago and used the vynal on outside corners and attached with a staple gun every 24". I had to make sure that the staple was low enough not to show through the mud after sanding. So far so good.

PA

02-08-06, 05:30 AM   #7  
Thanks to all for the replies.
I chose vinyl attached with spray adhesive. Seems to do the job.

MI

02-12-06, 04:06 AM   #8  
Just finishing a drywalled basement and used vinyl corner bead. If you are using the new 1/4 round vinyl bead you will need a small adaptor piece. It's used at base (bottom) location and it's purpose is to transition the round corner bead back to square to facilitate a mitred base trim.

I have used two types of spray adhesives and like the 3m brand best so far,

bs5

Search this Thread