Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tips on repairing a wall to ceiling hole

02-10-06, 10:47 AM   #1  
Tips on repairing a wall to ceiling hole

We're doing an overhaul of our new home's electrical system and have ended up with several holes in the wall board between the ceiling and wall. What's the best way to fix these sorts of holes?

Is it similar to fixing regular holes in walls? Cut out a matching piece of wall board, secure with screws against the studs and butt the ceiling against the wall with another piece of cut drywall?

I doubt I can cut the pieces out with a circular saw so what's the next best tool for this kind of repair? Reciprocating saw?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-10-06, 01:36 PM   #2  
I wouldn't cut drywall with a skil saw. I knew a framer once that messed up and went back to fix it and hung the rock himself - I was working 3 units down and thought the bldg was on fire when I saw all the dust coming out the window

Use a utility knife to score, bend and brake the rock and then cut along the brake. You can also use a hand saw or a drywall keyhole saw. Patching a corner is basically the same as any other drywall patch - you just have to fold the tape to tape the gap where ceiling and wall meet.

Are the holes small enough for crown moulding to cover? A little more expensive but nice improvement for most homes.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

PA

02-10-06, 03:32 PM   #3  
If the ceiling doesn't have a nailer, you can cut a board (anything solid) about 6 inches wider than the span, put it up through the hole and then fasten it across the opening using a couple screws on each side.

Next cut the patch with a utility knife as marksr said, and screw it onto the board.

*Regular joint compound can be used, but if you have 5 or 6 patches, you can mix up some easy-sand and do the taping followed by coating it right away. When that dries, do your next coat; and sand the next day, or when dry (sometimes 2 days later).

Pro-Tip coming ..... If you use glue on the part of the board you screwed into the ceiling, the patch will sit in about 1/32 of an inch. This will make the patch sit slightly below the surface, which is a lot easier to fill and blend than if it is even, or sticks out (sticks out isn't good, as you need to blend it out 1 foot on each side to make it "vanish". remember- out=bad)

I hope this helps.

02-13-06, 05:09 AM   #4  
Thanks for the replies.

Posted By: MudSlinger Pro-Tip coming ..... If you use glue on the part of the board you screwed into the ceiling, the patch will sit in about 1/32 of an inch. This will make the patch sit slightly below the surface, which is a lot easier to fill and blend than if it is even, or sticks out (sticks out isn't good, as you need to blend it out 1 foot on each side to make it "vanish". remember- out=bad)

I hope this helps.

Thats a great idea. Thanks!

Search this Thread