Need Help Installing Elfa Shelves

Old 02-11-06, 02:54 PM
Need Help Installing Elfa Shelves

I am trying to install a basic Elfa shelving system in my laundry room. I have a stud finder and unfortunately the studs do not line up with the holes in the metal top track.

So first off, I'm worried that if it's not drilled into the studs, it won't be able to hold the weight (the small shelf baskets will hold soda, canned goods, etc.).

Secondly, my wall is drywall, and I am unable to tell its thickness. In the Elfa instructions, it says for 1/2" thick drywall (most common type), to use a drywall anchor (which I have). I need to enlarge a 1/8" hole with a 3/8" drill bit. The drill bit set that I have doesn't have a 3/8" drill bit. I have a range of bits from 1/16" to 1/4", but none that say 3/8".

I'm so frustrated. This should be so simple! Can someone let me know:
1) is it ok to hang this thing even though I'm not going to be drilling into the studs?

2) What size drill bit can I get away with using - and if I can't make a hole big enough to fit the drywall anchor, can I just use a wood screw or will that not hold the weight?

Thanks - a quick reply would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-06, 11:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it possible to still mount it off of the studs? I realize the 'factory' holes aren't in the right place but is it possible to drill new holes to anchor it solidly to the studs?

If it isn't feasable to secure the shelving to the studs the next best is to use toggle bolts which I am guessing you have. It is possible to use a 1/4" bit and wallow out the hole to 3/8" but it won't be precise. It would be better to buy the right size bit [bits can be purchased individually] I wouldn't just screw it to the drywall as a cans can be quite heavy.