repairing a popcorn ceiling

Old 02-13-06, 05:27 PM
repairing a popcorn ceiling

Had a 3rd floor shower leak to the living room ceiling. A section of the drywall had to be cut away and replaced, about 24 s.f.

I am looking for ideas on the best way to tape and mud the drywall on a popcorn ceilling. How far back should we strip the popcorn away and the best way to strip it.

Also suggestions on replacing the popcorn. Can that area be resprayed and then the whole ceiling painted? Or am I going to have to reinvent the wheel and replace or redo the whole ceiling.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-06, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Previously answered in patching & plastering.

Basically wet the popcorn and scrape out far enough so you have room to finish the patch. When all the mud work is done, spray the repair with popcorn and blend lightly unto the old popcorn. Repaint ceiling when dry.

Old 02-14-06, 04:24 AM
Thanks Mark for your input. Sorry we put this in two areas, but we are new to this board. I felt we should be able to get an ok repair, but had several people tell me it "cant be done". Of course then I just have to try. Thanks again for your good info......cheers

Old 02-14-06, 06:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Textured ceilings are repaired all the time. Popcorn is probably the easiest to blend making the repair dissappear.