Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Remove paint from wood ceilings

02-17-06, 07:15 PM   #1  
Remove paint from wood ceilings

I have a house built in 1954 with what I believe is a cedar ceiling with beams and I want to remove paint and restore the wood look?????

Last edited by Icehaley; 02-17-06 at 08:27 PM.

Sponsored Links

PA

02-18-06, 05:22 AM   #2  
A chemical stripper would make less dust to remove a majority of the paint. I would probably stay away from sanding it down, as pre-70's paint often times contained lead; and sanding it would be very dusty.

If you are very determined, you could take it down and plane the boards, although that too is a lot of work.

My .02

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-18-06, 11:33 AM   #3  
Welcome to the forums

I agree with using a stripper. Be sure to cover everything below. It will be a messy job and before you are done and sanding will be required. Cedar is soft wood so it may be diffuclt to remove all traces of paint. If the ceiling was varnished or shellaced first, the stripping will be much easier.

It is possible that the ceiling was painted long after the house was built. If not mistaken there are kits you can buy to determine if there is lead.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread