Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

new drywall, ok I sanded a bit too much

Old 02-18-06, 06:35 PM

So all my joints feel great, but I've balled up some of the new drywall paper. I put a coat of paint (primer) on thinking it would hide it, instead it feels like sandpaper. Is there some sort of a fix for when this happens?

thx

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-06, 08:06 PM
DUDE...YES THERE IS!!!!!

Step 1. Sand the scratchy areas with some 150 grit sandpaper (don't go overboard, you are just trying to take off the scratchiest of the scratchy parts (the big bally stuff)

Step 2. Mix up some mud and skim it over with a light coat.

Step 3. Sand LIGHTLY (I'm awful, aren't I? ) Just enough to feather the edges into the painted area, and smooth out the new mud.

Step 4. Prime and paint those areas.

Step 5.

Don't feel like you messed up, even new houses get some of those. Especially patched areas when the drywallers and painters are both moving fast to patch changes from outlet and light moves, etc. the day before closing. They each try to help each other and stuff happens now and then. Or, if there was dust on a wall and the house was sprayed without backrolling. Then you get a number of "scratchy parts"

I hope this helps.

Old 02-19-06, 05:06 AM
helps a huge amount thanks mudslinger. Geez I was trying so hard to make this room "perfect" and I go and do this. How do you effectively sand your mud without hitting new paper? I would think you have to touch the paper a bit in order to feather the edges, no? At any rate, looking forward to fixing my goof, your method sounds easy....LIGHTLY sand

the dude abides

Old 02-19-06, 07:11 AM
You do hit the drywall paper, although after the second coat of mud, you are blending very little, so the paper doesn't get sanded.

After your specific touch up, I would use a medium or fine grit sanding sponge and just work the ridge at the edge of the mud where it meets the paper. Otherwise, you will see your new smooth mud where it transitions into the roller texture. (Think of it moreover as trying to "polish" the edge into the roller texture, instead of "sanding it down", and you should find it pretty easy to do)

Concerning the tape; if one is sanding and notices that you are getting down to the tape, you just stop sanding that area, as it will need a little "TLC" when you go back through with a light during the touch-up phase. It is then that you skim it.

I am glad I was able to help you.

MS