Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Interior Stucco Walls

NY

02-21-06, 06:06 AM   #1  
Interior Stucco Walls

I am renovating a house built in 1923 which has interior stucco walls. Am I better off trying to skim coat the walls or covering with 1/4 inch sheetrock? What are the pitfalls of each? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-21-06, 06:14 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

What do you mean by stucco walls? I have painted [and even rented] homes in the south that had interior block walls with masonary stucco.

If the walls are plaster you can skim over them although I'm not sure what the correct procedure is over plaster. This would probably be the best option - less work and mess.

1/4" rock would give you a fresh start and smooth straight walls. Biggest drawback [besides extra work] is it will alter how all wood trim fits. The wood work would need to be removed but when replaced, door jambs and window trim would need extensions and base board would need excess trimmed off. You may also need to install elec box extensions.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

02-21-06, 06:39 AM   #3  
Interior Stucco Walls -- Response

Posted By: JOEYRM I am renovating a house built in 1923 which has interior stucco walls. Am I better off trying to skim coat the walls or covering with 1/4 inch sheet rock? What are the pitfalls of each? Thanks
I am a novice at drywalling but I live in an older home and I am doing drywalling/renovations. This is what I know you will be dealing with in an older home:
--plaster and lathe walls
--the addition of sheet rock to the existing wall will necessitate the need to extend all electrical
--uneven studding -- larger than the standard 16"
--a number of hidden "surprises" -- Walls not plumb; etc.

As to skim coating I have no idea what is involved.

Just a thought.

Andy

NY

02-21-06, 03:39 PM   #4  
Thanks for the response. The house is constructed with lathe and plaster walls. The walls have a fairly light stucco with numerous cracks as well. Hope this helps. Does skim coating hold up over time?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-21-06, 05:39 PM   #5  
Skim coating holds up fine, ofcourse nothing is crack free if there is any movement.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread