Interior Stucco Walls

Old 02-21-06, 06:06 AM
Interior Stucco Walls

I am renovating a house built in 1923 which has interior stucco walls. Am I better off trying to skim coat the walls or covering with 1/4 inch sheetrock? What are the pitfalls of each? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-06, 06:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

What do you mean by stucco walls? I have painted [and even rented] homes in the south that had interior block walls with masonary stucco.

If the walls are plaster you can skim over them although I'm not sure what the correct procedure is over plaster. This would probably be the best option - less work and mess.

1/4" rock would give you a fresh start and smooth straight walls. Biggest drawback [besides extra work] is it will alter how all wood trim fits. The wood work would need to be removed but when replaced, door jambs and window trim would need extensions and base board would need excess trimmed off. You may also need to install elec box extensions.

Old 02-21-06, 06:39 AM
Interior Stucco Walls -- Response

Originally Posted by JOEYRM
I am renovating a house built in 1923 which has interior stucco walls. Am I better off trying to skim coat the walls or covering with 1/4 inch sheet rock? What are the pitfalls of each? Thanks
I am a novice at drywalling but I live in an older home and I am doing drywalling/renovations. This is what I know you will be dealing with in an older home:
--plaster and lathe walls
--the addition of sheet rock to the existing wall will necessitate the need to extend all electrical
--uneven studding -- larger than the standard 16"
--a number of hidden "surprises" -- Walls not plumb; etc.

As to skim coating I have no idea what is involved.

Just a thought.

Andy

Old 02-21-06, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the response. The house is constructed with lathe and plaster walls. The walls have a fairly light stucco with numerous cracks as well. Hope this helps. Does skim coating hold up over time?

Old 02-21-06, 05:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Skim coating holds up fine, ofcourse nothing is crack free if there is any movement.