Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Should I tape joints behind shower surround?

Old 02-25-06, 07:55 AM

Howdy-

I ripped out a tiled stall shower, replacing the stall tub, and installing an acrylic shower. I have already hung greenboard on the shower walls but I haven't starting taping. Question: do I have to tape any joints that will be behind the shower walls before I put up the acrylic material?

My gut is 'no' b/c 1) there's no need for a finished look if acrylic is going over it, and 2) the areas where mud had been applied will not be as good of a surface for the liquid nails to adhere to.

However, as this bathroom is on the lower level of a 2-story split foyer house, the bottom 4 ft of the back wall of the shower are actually below grade. I used furrow strips and insulation board between the foundation wall and the greenboard and also hung a vapor barrier. That said, am I still ok to leave these joints unfinished or must I try to close any gaps to further prevent moisture from affecting the back side of the greenboard?

I truly hope it's a 'no' b/c I actually was short one piece of greenboard and therefore had to use 6 different scrap pieces for a 3*7 ft wall...

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-06, 09:50 AM
My .02 is that I would at least tape the joints in case water was to seep behind the surround. Applying tape is no big deal. I would probably put 1 thin coat over it right after I taped it, just to cover the tape.

(I don't recommend putting mud over wet tape in open rooms, although this would just be to seal it. It shouldn't take one but about 20 minutes to do it if you don't have much experience, people with a lot of experience can do it in about 5-10 minutes)

I know it's not what you want to hear, but it is my .02; and many others may just leave it, which would most likely be fine too.

I hope this helps.