Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page > Removing Wallpaper with Plaster Texturing over it

Removing Wallpaper with Plaster Texturing over it

Old 02-26-06, 12:36 PM
Question Removing Wallpaper with Plaster Texturing over it

I am thinking of buying a house but it has one problem that I am unsure of how I would deal with it. The walls are batten board and plaster. Over that are about 4 layers of wallpaper. Over that is a thin layer of plaster that covers and textures everything. Obviously whoever had it before didnt want to deal with stripping wallpaper and so covered it up with plaster. The problem though is that the wallpaper is coming loose in some areas and taking the outerlayer of textured plaster with it.

I know that I can remove wallpaper with a wet sponge, chemicals, or a steamer. But how would I remove it when it is covered with a nice layer of plaster? Some areas I could just scrap off since they are peeling already, but I worry that other areas will resist scraping, yet I cant just leave those areas because sooner or later the wallpaper there will peel too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-06, 06:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

The wallpaper can still be stripped. The biggest problem is the texture [but more so the paint] will make it harder to get the wallpaper adhesive wet. Getting the edges around the stubborn areas wet will help the moisture to seep behind the paper. Scoring the texture and paper as you normally would with paper stripping will help. Might need to score a little deeper though. It won't be a quick easy job and it is possible there will be a fair amount of plaster repair once the walls are exposed.

Old 02-28-06, 02:40 AM
Ditto on marksr.

Old 02-28-06, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the help. We'll see what happens.

Search this Thread