Studs sticking out a little to far.

Old 02-27-06, 12:23 PM
Studs sticking out a little to far.

Hi,

I just finished framing some walls and 4 of my studs are sticking out to far which I am assuming will cause a problem with drywall install. I would replace them but unfurtanetly they all have electrical wiring running throug them. Is there any methods or tricks to getting them even with the other studs.

Many thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-06, 12:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If they are just out of pace you can knock them in/out with a hammer. If bowwed you will need to cut or plane them. If you cut too much you may need to reinforce it.

Old 02-27-06, 12:48 PM
Thanks Marksr,

Im sorry I should have mentioned that, yes they are actually bowed. The top and bottom of each stud is OK, If I cut a little at a time with a jig saw would that be OK.

Thanks again!

Old 02-27-06, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It may be hard to get an even cut with a jig saw - planer would be better but.... sometimes you got to use what you got. If the cut comes out too crooked and will affect the drywall hanging you can add a straight 2x2 to the side of the stud.

Old 02-27-06, 07:26 PM
leventmine,

evening out 4 of studs may be tough/time consuming. You MIGHT be better off replacing them. As for the electrical, be creative. If the wiring is through the studs, jigsaw or hacksaw from the hole out (so you cant accidentally hit the wire). Then on the replacemnet stud, just notch out instead of drill (obviously you cant drill in that case). Cover the notch with a metal plate if there is danger of hitting with nails or screws later on. if its the back of a basement wall or against a closet, youdont even have to do that. In my basment, I just ran the wiring behind the studs and securing it with tie wraps.

If you screwed the studs in, its easy to take them out. If you nailed, and dont care about 16 inch centers (again - maybe a basement situation. I keep assuming basement because I think thats what DIYers usually frame themselves) you dont even have to start pulling nails. Cut the stud out near the top and near the bottom, leaving a small piece still nailed in. Just put the new stud up against it.

Personally, I hate pulling nails from studs. It seems I never have good leverage and its easy to slip.

One slip with a hammer or even a plane, a good splinter under the nail,etc. and its easy to get frustrated.

Just some thoughts. After all, it may be easier and quicker to plane them down.

Old 02-28-06, 08:45 AM
Thanks rkoudelka,

Those are great tips, cutting them out top and bottom is a good.

Thanks again!