drop ceilings

Old 02-27-06, 07:14 PM
Talking drop ceilings

I was looking at the drop ceilings at Lowes and they carried a system called Ceiling max. It looked to be kind of expensive but it attaches to the rafters so you do not lose any ceiling height.
Just wondering if anyone has used this system and wanted your thoughts.

Big Blue Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-06, 07:19 PM
Guess it would be okay if all your joists are level and even and you don't mind the plastic clips they use to support the ceiling. Oh yeah, forgot that you have to take out a whole row to replace one tile. Good luck.

Old 02-27-06, 07:31 PM
sounds good to me!

I sheetrocked my basement ceiling because I didnt want to lose the space of a drop ceiling (and its much cheaper)

Since then, a convector in the basement stopped working. I have air in the line and need to open the wall to clear it.

And then I had an extension built, and needed to open two more holes in the ceiling to get at some heat pipes.

Thats three openings, and I planned ahead! So, whatever you do, make sure you leave yourself access.

Old 02-27-06, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. i did not realize you had to take down a whole row to remove a panel. I was just looking at putting a drop ceiling in the basement and ran across this system. When I started to look at the cost of materials it turned out to be kind of expensive.

jim

Old 03-08-06, 12:58 PM
I just finished using a similar system, and low and behold it doesn't look so great.. mine told em to use drywall screws to install the runners attached to the joists, but seeing we're dealing with pvc as opposed to metal (like in a normal drop ceiling) the plastic warped and bent, and in the end i got a nice wavy and inconsistent looking ceiling. Hey, what are starter homes for but to learn a few lessons about what not to do!

Once i got the hang of it though, i used a stapler with my nail gun set to low pressure (so the staples didn't blast through the plastic). It ended up much much straighter. In the end, i feel the only real way to get a good looking ceiling is using the metal suspended system or drywall.. My basement ended up being so low and awkward with ducts and pipes, there was no way around using what i used.

Good luck.

Old 03-09-06, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by eric_bort
I just finished using a similar system, and low and behold it doesn't look so great.. mine told em to use drywall screws to install the runners attached to the joists, but seeing we're dealing with pvc as opposed to metal (like in a normal drop ceiling) the plastic warped and bent, and in the end i got a nice wavy and inconsistent looking ceiling. Hey, what are starter homes for but to learn a few lessons about what not to do!

Once i got the hang of it though, i used a stapler with my nail gun set to low pressure (so the staples didn't blast through the plastic). It ended up much much straighter. In the end, i feel the only real way to get a good looking ceiling is using the metal suspended system or drywall.. My basement ended up being so low and awkward with ducts and pipes, there was no way around using what i used.

Good luck.
It wasn't ceiling link was it? I'm in the process of installing mine now and I thought that stuff was self leveling?

Old 03-13-06, 04:50 AM
I currently in the process of finishing my basement also, and plan on using Armstrongs product. They have an excellent website http://www.armstrong.com/home/us/en/. It will assist you in laying out your plans, with needed materials, and any problems you run into. Additionally, I found that Armstrong has a more rigid frame, and should last longer. Good luck