How wide to mud a butt joint

Old 03-01-06, 10:43 AM
How wide to mud a butt joint

Hi:
I'm finishing basement walls with drywall. At a butt joint (non-tapered ends of dry wall), how wide do I need apply joint compound (to make a clean transition)? Currently, I have gone 12-inches on either side of the joint. When I hold a 14-inch taping knife (corner of knife on the joint) there are no gaps. If I hold up a 4-foot level (mid-point of the level on the joint) there's a 1/8-inch gap from the joint to the end of the level.
Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-06, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by mchrist
Hi:
I'm finishing basement walls with drywall. At a butt joint (non-tapered ends of dry wall), how wide do I need apply joint compound (to make a clean transition)? Currently, I have gone 12-inches on either side of the joint. When I hold a 14-inch taping knife (corner of knife on the joint) there are no gaps. If I hold up a 4-foot level (mid-point of the level on the joint) there's a 1/8-inch gap from the joint to the end of the level.
Thanks for the advice.
I'm not a pro, but I think your joint will be nearly invisible once painted, particularly if you use a flat or satin finish paint. It will depend somewhat on the length of the wall, the light sources in the room and the direction of the joint (ie. vertical or horizontal). Even near perfect joints will be visible at some angle, in certain light, especially in a long hallway but it sounds like you are as close to perfect as you will ever get. There are likely greater than 1/8 inch deviations in the studs backing the drywall.

Old 03-01-06, 04:58 PM
mchrist,

12" is what is usually done on butt joints, so it sounds like you're good to go.

MudSlinger

Search this Thread