Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Another tear down the wall question...

Old 03-03-06, 07:44 AM

I searched for this but could not quite narrow down what I need. I am going to tear down a closet that joins two bedrooms. I want to rebuild the wall and add an extra 3 feet of living space. What is the "proper" way of tearing down the walls? Can I use the existing studs of the closet to adhere the new sheetrock? And finally what is the proper way of matching the existing plaster ceiling with sheetrock? Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks, Jazzy

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-06, 06:34 PM
First, determine if or have someone deyermine if the wall is load bering, If it is not then remove the wall covering to the bare framing. If it is plaster there is a different method of treating the ceiling attachment than with drywall.
You can attempt to reuse the existing studs, however, they will usually splinter when nails are driven into the ends and will not be a sound connection.
To remove the studs intact, you'll need to cut the nails by inserting a sawzall blade between the ends of the studs and the plates.
The ceiling patch instructions can be different depending upon whether or not you have plaster.

Old 03-04-06, 03:23 AM
In order to match the plaster to sheetrock you will need to put shims over the lathe to build up the backing so the sheetrock will match. There aren't any specific methods of what to use, as it will depend on how thick the plaster is (It isn't always even). Some possibilities are backin it with 1/4 or 1/2 inch plywood, sometimes putting on 2 layers of drywall works, adding furring strips over the existing studs can also be done.

If the plaster you are removing is only as wide as the wall that was removed, you may be able to glue 2 thicknesses of drywall to the lathe, add some screws, and then fill the trough with a setting type joint coumpound to fill most of it. After which, tape the seam on each side of the trough and finish with regular mud (joint compound).

I hope this helps.

Old 03-07-06, 12:01 PM
Very helpful advice.... the walls are up and they look great!!! I did have to shim the sheetrock and it worked out great!!! Thanks, Jazzy