estimating

Old 03-05-06, 06:56 PM
estimating

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I'm comng accross a lot of side work and I'm noot sure how to estimate (bid) for drywall jobs. Mud and tape included. Any pointers? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-06, 09:55 PM
IHI
You can learn the hard wya like the rest of us lose money on a couple jobs until you know

You'll have to figure out material pricing, how much per job you'll need, how quickly you can get it done, how many inside/outside corners or radiuses, what type of finished wall they want from a catagory 1 to a catagory 5 finish, how much your liabilty insurance is per year, operating costs for vehicle and insurance, your own insurance, etc...

I'll give one hint, it's priced out per sq ft and once you get good you'll just ask how many sheets.

Old 03-07-06, 07:11 PM
Gee thanks...

...that's why I contacted you! Actually your reply has motivated me to do further research. Thank youI

Sooo... What's the going rate per square foot for drywall installation. in Iowa these days?

Old 03-07-06, 07:18 PM
IHI
The "installation" is anywhere from $0.10 to $0.15/sqft depending on crew "installing it".

Old 03-07-06, 07:44 PM
And having saved the best for last, tapeing, here is a hint.
Box and pail mud shrinks, dry mix or hotmud, doesn't.

Old 03-08-06, 05:18 AM
Hey...

...thank you folks. This means a lot and I am well on my way. This site is great and the fourm even better. Once I make the big time I'll have to donate to the cause. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Old 03-09-06, 03:10 AM
You ask a difficult question....

A lot depends on the size of the project. If I need to fix a loose piece of tape, or an outlet patch or two, I charge about $125; mainly because I need to go to the house first and bid the job, go there another day to do it, followed by another day to sand it (for about 5-10 minutes). Sometimes I will bid it and do it the same day.

If you do a small job, (a 1 or 2 room addition that is less than 50 sheets) you need to figure out time and materials. It will take you about 15-20 minutes per sheet to hang (tricky stuff could take 30 minutes by the time you are done), and when all is said and done, 45 minutes average to finish. (this sounds like a lot, but it includes installing bead, mixing mud, finishing everything, sanding, etc.... and it isn't the big sheets that will take the time-they are quick. The little stuff is what kills you...inside corners and angles, off angles, bead, soffits, etc.)

If you are finishing a basement, you can figure about $12-$15 per sheet to hang and however much you need to earn at 45 minutes per sheet to finish.

Corner bead is $5 per "stick" (materials and labor included) $1 for the bead, $1 for the mud, $1 to install, and $2 to finish (2 coats+sanding).

If you are doing a larger job for a contractor, you could probably charge .80 per square foot, and they will charge the homeowner $1 per square foot. + bead @ $5/stick. HOWEVER- you need to keep on top of drywall prices, as hurricanes make suppliers send a lot to those areas, and your materials could go up by about 20% very quickly.

Also remember that the kitchens and bathrooms take time, the larger rooms are where you can put up the sheets quickly. If you do a bathroom that is 10 sheets, it will take far longer to do than a 10 sheet bedroom, so charge accordingly.

You are going to need at least 1 million in insurance per occurance in case you put a screw into a wire and the house burns down (ask the insurance company as to how much contractors have in your area). That will cost about $400 per year (Erie Insurance covers a lot of contractors in my area, although they are many companies out there.)

It seems as though you are doing smaller jobs/basements right now, so the per square foot price "won't do you well". So I would try to figure out time and materials as I mentioned earlier. If you want to earn $35 per hour, you will need to charge about $35 or $40 per 4x8 sheet for the labor + whatever the material costs. (The homeowner may look at you crazy at first because labor is far more than materials, but that's the way it is...)

And remember... Uncle Sam is going to want about 40% of everything you earn, so $35/hour only gives you about $20, After that you need health insurance, gas, oil, food, and a place to sleep, cell phone, tools, etc.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!