Shelving on sloped wall?

Old 03-09-06, 11:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Shelving on sloped wall?

I just purchased a new home with a bonus room over the garage. Two of the walls will be sloped or angled from about 4ft off the floor to the ceiling. I was wanting to put a shelf down both these walls. How would I go about mounting a shelf on the sloped wall?

Old 03-09-06, 11:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums

I doubt that you can easily mount the shelves to the angled wall/ceiling. You can mount lower shelves to the wall and use them for a base to mount progressively narrower shelves.

If you just want one shelf you might make a triangle shaped box [front open except for support pieces] and screw it into the rafters.

Old 03-09-06, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it sounds pretty hard to do. Been racking my brain trying to think of something. I did think of the triangle deal. That might work, but like my wife said, you wold have to put them high enough up to keep from banging your head into them, that you might not be able to see what you have sitting on thm. I do appreciate the help.

Old 03-09-06, 03:51 PM
M
Will the shelf go
'wall to wall" on the ends? If so, you can put a horizontal piece on each end to support the end of the shelf, then fabricate angled supports in the middle if required. I used a wire shelf under my steps and it works great to hold stuff.

My .02

Old 03-09-06, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I was planning on putting it from end to end. What kind of bracket would you hold the ends up with and can you describe how the wire would attach? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-10-06, 01:59 AM
M
If you go to Home Depot they sell the wire shelves. (Lowes, etc. probably have them too.)

They have a plastic support that holds the front ends of the shelf, the back end has clips (they look almost like the letter "c") that mount into the angled wall, and the back of the shelf clips into them.

Or, you can just cut and mount a horizontal board (1x4 or something) along the end walls that will support the end of the shelf.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-10-06, 05:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Originally Posted by MudSlinger
I used a wire shelf under my steps and it works great to hold stuff.

I totally forgot about about wire shelves. IMO that would be the way to go. Depending on the weight of the items you intend to place on it, you will probably need multiple supports. If your bonus room is like most the shelf would be too long to just support the shelf on the ends.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: