Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ceiling texture

03-12-06, 05:21 AM   #1  
Ceiling texture

What is the best way to texture a drywall ceiling. My house has "flower looking splotches". I think I have heard it referred to as "stippling". I want the room I am doing to match the rest of the house. This is not a patch job. This is a total ceiling replacement in a bedroom from water damage. I have the drywall installed and have taped and put one coat of mud on. How do I finish ?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-12-06, 10:22 AM   #2  
Texture on a ceiling will help to hide any imperfections but it won't hide everything so the better the ceiling is finished the better it will look once textured.

I have heard various finishs reffered to as stippling so I'm not sure what you are trying to match. Could it be a stomped ceiling? The 2 most common brushes used are a crows foot [single or double] and a round brush. The round brush would leave approximatetly a 6" diameter design. The most common way to apply stomp texture is to thin down joint compound and roll it on the ceiling, while the mud is still wet you stomp it with the brush. The thinner the mud is the lighter the texture, thicker = heavier texture.

Hope this helps, if not give us more info and we'll try again.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

03-14-06, 02:41 AM   #3  
Texture

The description you gave of stomped(single round brush) sounds like what I need to do. How thin do I need to make the drywall mud? Is there more to it than rollinf and stomping ?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-14-06, 05:33 AM   #4  
Thin the mud in the neighborhood of paint consistency. The thickness of the mud determines how heavy the texture is. That pretty much covers it - is a little messy though.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread