Dealing with Painted Wallpaper

Old 03-16-06, 06:19 PM
Dealing with Painted Wallpaper

Upon removing the textured wallpaper we have found another layer of paint over wallpaper which appears that is was originally hung without sizing. As I see it - I have a few options:
1. Spend a lot of time scraping up small bits of painted wallpaper (pieces don't come up larger than one inch)
2. Remove the whole wall and re-rock
3. Try to skim coat of spackle (after washing the painted wallpaper - I learned previously than the enzymes in the wallpaper paste will eat through paint)
4. Add a layer of 1/4" drywall right on top of the painted wallpaper.

Anyone have any suggestions?

It is a hallway that winds through our home that I had simply hoped to strip the paper, wash, paint then replace the baseboard and casing. It is around 90 linear feet of wall with 10 doors -so the size of this project just increased dramatically.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-06, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
I would skim coat, but with joint compound, not spackle.

Old 03-16-06, 07:27 PM
I have never done skim coating before - so am unsure about how you get a relatively even coat. (You can tell by my spackle vs. joint compound - I don't know much about this - but after having several people in to help hang rock and prep it - and being dissatisfied with their results - I am ready to have a go at it myself.)

I have heard about a plastic mesh - similar to adhesive joint tape that instead of being 2.5" wide - comes in a roll 4 feet wide. Then at least I think I have a shot at getting an even coat. Any thoughts?

Old 03-17-06, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
Joint compound is relatively forgiving - if it's too thin, add more; too thick, sand it down. Apply the compound in thin coats and be patient. This is a job you can do yourself with little experience, but a book or two on the subject will help.

Old 03-17-06, 05:54 AM
I've got the same thing going on

My house has the exact same problem. Paint over wallpaper with no sizing and muliple layers. I've been skim coating the walls and sanding them out the best I can. I think that the prevous owners used super glue or a hot glue gun along the edges of the paper so it's been extra difficult to tear it down. If you have it in your budget or ability I would replace the sheetrock! I'm just not in that position right now. It is in our future plans however.

Old 03-17-06, 06:31 AM
I expect that I'll try the skim coat approach first and see how that works out. At least with that approach I shouldn't have to worry about increased width of the walls and getting wide jambs.

Thanks for your guidance,

Old 03-17-06, 07:10 AM
here's a tip: when you go to "sand" it down, use a wrung out sponge to "sand" with. then keep rinsing & wringing it out. there will far less dust produced than if you use actual sandpaper or a screen. and i think you can get a smoother finish, too.

Old 03-17-06, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A way to make skim coating a more managable job do it this way. Skim coat squares in a checker board pattern, that way you are only dealing with a small area and don't have to work up against wet mud. After these are dry [which will probably be before you are ready] you can go back and fill in the blanks working against now dry mud.