Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removed wallpaper, a real mess

03-19-06, 11:28 AM   #1  
Removed wallpaper, a real mess

Hi, I really need some help... I wanted to remove the wallpaper from a bathrom (I am moving in a new appartment), half way trhu I really regreted this.. I am soaking all the walls, remove the paper, but under this layer there's oil paint, then there's something that looks like aluminum foil, then more oil paint, older wallpaper, more oil paint, I don't know what's under there... in some spots everything fell off all the way to the actual wall, in other I have reached the oil paint, it's really tough, I am using a spakle tool to remove whatever it's on that wall, but now the wall is a real mess, wholes, irregularities, portions of old wallpaper which is so hard to remove, even though I've soaked it many times with hot water. What should i do??? should I try to remove whatever I can and then apply spackle on large portions of wall to even it then sand it? I'm really in trouble here... Can spackle be used on large portions of wall?
Thanks to whomever can give me some advice.
P.S> I want to paint the wall afterwards (not wallpaper)

Last edited by ramo; 03-19-06 at 11:42 AM.

Sponsored Links

CAL

03-19-06, 12:09 PM   #2  
Go to a local rental company and rent a wallpaper steamer. It is still hard work, but is usually sucessful when nothing else will work.

PA

03-19-06, 01:30 PM   #3  
If you use a steamer, the steam is extremely hot. Be careful and don't work overhead with this tool. Use a ladder for high areas and keep your body and feet away from any drippings. It will also help to cut slits on the wallpaper using a box cutter.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-19-06, 03:14 PM   #4  
A steamer may or may not help. The moisture has to reach the glue before it will help. Have you tried scoring the paper with an utility knife as rjordan suggested? Getting the wall wet won't help if it just lays on the surface, cutting little grooves through the paper will help the water penitrate.

Spackle is for minor repairs. For large areas you should skim with joint compound.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

03-19-06, 04:01 PM   #5  
Thank you all so much! I would like to try doing all this without a steamer (If I can succeed!). I was using a tool to remove stuff from the wall and I don't know the name of it, it looks flat at the edges, rectangular, and the scraping edge is sharper and it really works well removing stuff from the wall if I press hard enough. (although I kept pressing until my skin came off one of my fingers... kind of tough).I will try to do cuts in the paper, although I can't even tell what was glued in there, it's a mess of a wall... it's many layers of many things. I think the problem is the oil paint that it's between the first layer of wallpaper and the second. Someone glued more wallpaper on top of the existing one, but not before applying even more oil paint on top of the old wallpaper. So although I removed the first layer of wallpaper very easily, the rest gets harder and the glue seams stronger. I will try to cut slits next, soak it some more and scrape everything off. Thank God it's not a big bathroom....
Thank you all again, it really helped!

PA

03-20-06, 09:48 AM   #6  
Here's another idea that I heard someone recommend. Use fabric softener in your water. I think this idea came from a contractor. There are commercial products that are mixed in water that are used for wallpaper removal but fabric softener is probally cheaper. Slit your wallpaper first, then soak it with your mix and let it work 5 minutes or more before trying to remove it.

I had a wall in my kitchen that had layers of paint and wallpaper that was extremely difficult to remove. It was like the paint was baked on and I gave up. It was a plaster wall. If it was drywall, I would have taken it down and put up a new wall because it would have been less work.

03-21-06, 05:31 PM   #7  
That's how I felt... (just like giving up) and I actually still do. I was actually trying to get someone to do it for me than changed my mind.
Some spots are fine now, I got to the last layer of oil paint, but some spots are a real mess, there are holes, some glue/ wallpaper that seems impossible to remove... I don't know what I'll do, I will experiment with it. I'm going to get compound like one of the users suggested, and ... I don't know... I don't think that will stay on the oil paint If it did, at this point I feel like covering all the walls with a layer of compund and so be it! I will have to patch some spots, (some very large spots, more like half the walls, but there's a lot of oil paint remaining all over). I'll sand whatever is in my way, prime it, then...I just hope the wallpaper will stay on the wall
I'll let you all know... we can only learn from other people's mistakes (or succesess)

PA

03-22-06, 06:36 AM   #8  
Ramo,
After you make your repairs and it looks better then before, then learn to live with the rest of the apartments shortcomings because the owner did not care enough to being the apartment up to approving standards that people expect if they own the property. Why make it look better for the owner? If renters make too many improvements and then later move out; then the owner charges more rent to the next person because your former apartment is now the best in the building. He won't lower your rent as you make improvements. You also have to be careful in case you signed a lease or other aggreement. There may be a clause making you liable if your repairs are sloopy.

03-25-06, 06:02 AM   #9  
No, that is not a problem, the appartment will be ours at some point. I would never invest in someone else's appartment
It starts looking better now, I've coated 2 of the walls already, and I'm impressed! it looks a lot better now. I still need to sand some areas then prime it.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-25-06, 11:21 AM   #10  
Posted By: ramo the appartment will be ours at some point. I would never invest in someone else's appartment.

If the purchase price has not been agreed to, any improvements made will raise the price/worth when evaluated. Hope you don't shoot yourself in the foot of course I'm sure the current owner wouldn't mind a little extra profit.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

03-29-06, 04:49 AM   #11  
The price has already been established for all apartaments in the building. It';s a long story...
The wall came out really nice!!! just wanted to let you know about the outcome. Even better then before. They are straigh and smooth. I'm not going to put more wallpaper on them, now that I see how difficult it was to remove it... I'll make them PINK!

03-29-06, 12:01 PM   #12  
Hi Remo,

As it sounds like the wall coverings go back many years, there may be lead paint in there somewhere. Not to make you worry too much, but I think it is wise to be relatively careful with the scrapings particularly if there are going to be kids around any time soon.

Bruce

03-29-06, 06:00 PM   #13  
Thanks for pointing that out! I know, there's lots of nasty chemicals in these paints, etc... I wore a respirator for the whole time. I figured there could be anything in that wall...
Thanks again!
Posted By: guest2 Hi Remo,

As it sounds like the wall coverings go back many years, there may be lead paint in there somewhere. Not to make you worry too much, but I think it is wise to be relatively careful with the scrapings particularly if there are going to be kids around any time soon.

Bruce

Search this Thread