Fix drywall holes

Old 03-20-06, 01:19 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Fix drywall holes

Does anybody know a easy and cheap way to repair holes in drywall??

Old 03-20-06, 01:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums

A lot depends on the size and location of the holes. The 2 most common ways to repair is to use drywall tape and mud or cut an oversized patch from a piece of drywall, remove all excess from the back [just leave enough to plug the hole] using the paper on the front as tape and mud in place.

Whichever method is used you will need to allow the first coat of joint compound to dry before applying the next coat.

Old 03-20-06, 07:07 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atkearns
Does anybody know a easy and cheap way to repair holes in drywall??
marksrs ways work well. I usually cut a piece of scrap wood that is at least 4 inches longer than the hole. Put some glue on the ends, put it through the hole and screw it high and low, then screw my patch to the wood I just installed.

Cut out a patch and screw that to the wood.

and then finish it with paper tape and mud (joint compound).

If I am having company that night, I will fill the seams with easy-sand 20, wait till it cures, scrape off the high edge (the stuff expands a little when it cures), then coat and tape like any seam.

If you are not familiar with the "joint compound process", this site has info somewhere (I am just not familiar with where to find the info, although it is here) I would recommend that you read that info, and then post again with any questions that you may have.

How big are the patches/holes? (If it is where your "significant other" came after you with a broom, it may be easier than marksr or I described), we love seeing pictures if you can do that, and if not possible (because I don't know how to post a picture either!) we will talk you through it...quicker than On Star can get you to the beach!

I hope this helps.

Old 03-20-06, 08:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
There are also mesh patches you can place over the holes. As mark said, size of the hole makes a big difference in how you patch it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: