What to use for a movable wall?

Old 03-20-06, 05:26 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What to use for a movable wall?

I am looking to put up a movable wall in my garage to enclosure my hottub. The little room I am trying to make will be about 8' long by 9' wide, with 8' ceilings. I just need to make 2 walls, and I wanted them to be movable, almost like a curtain, or maybe I was thinking that bamboo stuff or even those beads that you hand from the ceiling. I don't want to make anything permanent by using 2x4's and sheetrock. When I am done using the hottub I will want to open up the wall to let all the humidity out from the room, etc...

What is the best and cheapest thing I could use for this?

Old 03-20-06, 07:25 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Buy or make some bifold doors. You could put a couple sets together with more of the same kinds of hinges and fold them up and move them out of the way when you are finished. These won't go all the way to the top unlessyou mke your own but they will give privacy and hold in some of the heat until you are ready to get out. This sounds like a pretty good idea. Never thought of putting a hot tub in a garage.

Old 03-20-06, 07:28 PM
T
Just how cheap do you want? You could hang some sheets from the ceiling. or some pieces of plastic.
You could fasten them permanently at the top then just roll them up to the ceiling to get them out of the way.

Old 03-20-06, 07:29 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could make frames out of blackpipe or copper tubing, get curtains and hem the bottom and slide over the bottom tubes. Using "T's" at the bottom and put in short pipes for support, or drill and install casters.

Grab a lemonade and Enjoy!

I hope this helps.

Old 03-21-06, 08:23 AM
S
you think putting a hottub in a 2 car garage would look dumb? I don't use the back-half of the right side of my garage..

Old 03-21-06, 11:54 AM
T
My wife would like to have a hot tub. I don't know where to put it. I don't think the garage is an option for us.
We do have a pool. I've seen hotels with smaller pools than ours. She wishes it would get warm earlier in the year.

Please let us know what you come up with. In the mean time, close the garage door and start soaking.

Old 03-21-06, 12:03 PM
S
I am going to put it in the garage because I wanted to do a hottub indoors, and I can't fit it through any other doors to get inside my house. I will just section off a little 8'x10' area to put the tub in. I just want to put some sort of privacy curtains or something up around the other two sides of the tub. The tub will be pushed back into a corner, so there will already be 2 walls around the tub. I just need to come up with 2 more temporary walls or curtains, etc. I was thining at first of putting up a wall with 2x4 and sheetrock but that would be a big problem if somebody had to service the tub because there would not be enough room to walk around the tub if a permanent wall was up on all sides. At least with the curtain idea you can just lift the curtain or whatever up and you have full access to the tub.

Actually what do they call those rollup curtains made out of like bamboo? They look pretty nice, I can hang them from the ceiling and just roll them up or down when I want to.. There will of course be a foot or so open air gap above the curtain. This is good anyhow, because it will allow the heat, moisture and humidity to disipate throughout the entire garage so it doesnt' ruin the walls just around the tub. Then I can just leave a window open on the other side of the garage to allow the heat and humidity to go outside thus it shouldn't damange any of the sheetrock walls or ceiling in my garage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: