Removing interior walls

Old 03-21-06, 04:31 PM
Removing interior walls

We are starting a kitchen remodel & would like to remove two interior walls (between kitchen/living room and kitchen/dining room). I paid an architect to come out & look, and was told that removing the walls is no problem because we have a truss roof. Unfortunately, i haven't heard from him since & have never gotten drawings.... Can we go ahead and knock out the walls? Someone else told me that there still might be bearing walls, depending on the span. The kitchen is part of a one-level section of a split level house. The 1st floor level (kitchen, dining, living) approx 26' by 28' under a trussed roof. The house was built in 1964.

Last edited by rehnixon; 03-21-06 at 06:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-06, 06:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

If you do have a truss system the only load bearing walls are the exterior walls at each end of the truss.

Even if the walls are not load bearing you need to be carefull with demolition. First off there are electrical wires in the walls, there may also be plumbing. Whenever you tear out an existing wall you need to both plan and take care. You don't want to damage parts of the house not scheduled for remodel

Have you paid the architect? If so demand to hear from him. If not you are free to go elsewhere.