Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plaster wall issue

03-21-06, 09:29 PM   #1  
Plaster wall issue

I'm removing wallpaper from plaster walls in preperation for painting. The wallpaper came off great, but while removing the glue residue a layer of white started coming off too. Underneath the white is brown, hard, solid plaster. Thinking it was sizing, I kept going and now have a LARGE patch of brown plaster showing. Did I remove the sizing or did I remove the topcoat of plaster?

Please say it was only sizing.

Where do I go from here?

Sponsored Links

PA

03-22-06, 03:52 AM   #2  
"I can not tell a lie..." Abe Lincoln

You did remove the finish plaster. It is an easy fix though. I would get some easy-sand and mix that, as it is a curing type compound. Mix it up and fill the holes. It may take a coat or two to make it smooth, although it isn't as big of a deal as it would appear from the "potholes in the road... or, um walls for that matter".

Tightcoat would be able to give you info on replastering methods. I have used it before, but he does it all the time.

I hope this helps.

03-22-06, 05:59 PM   #3  
Thank you for the help and advice. I'll probably be back (and ask first, next time). Thanks again.

CAL

03-22-06, 07:32 PM   #4  
mudslinger is right.
You could do it with plaster but it is not very beginner friendly. It's probably easier to find some EasySand. There are other brands of setting joint compound as well. If it takes more than one coat you can recoat as soon as the first coat is set.
If you time it right but you only get one chance at this you can water trowel the EasySand just as it sets. You might be able sto slick it down a bit more that way. Keep the trowel clean and just mist the wall with water. You can still sand when it's dry but make sure it's dry before you sand. I mean do the patch one day do it as smoothly as you can then let it dry at least overnight before you sand.

04-04-06, 07:14 PM   #5  
Thank you. I think I need to watch someone do this before I try my hand at it. There are a couple contractors I know.. I think I'll hire someone to do it with plaster and watch.

Thanks again for your help.

Search this Thread