Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

MudSlinger I think I got it on the crack ? What about this?

Old 03-23-06, 08:23 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Im a union insulator and it dawned on me to try to use some paintable DAP silicone caulking on the hair line crack. So I applied a small bead of white caulk to the textured ceiling,then took a wet brush to it to blend the caulk in with the texture and to coat the crack. This morning I checked it and it almost blended in to were you couldnt see it. But with the lights off you could see the shadow of where I had applied it. Today I will retexture the area and hope for the best. Do you think this has a chance of working?? Remember it is a very fine hair line crack nothing really wide.
Thanks for your replies
Once again Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-06, 10:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I don't know as much about drywall as mudslinger as I'm a painter. As long as the caulking doesn't shrink or the crack doesn't widen your repair should be ok.

Mud and tape are always makes for the best repair but many times minor damage doesn't warrant the extra work. If it works great! if not you will need to do it the right/hard way next time.

Old 03-23-06, 04:30 PM
J
marksr Thanks for the reply Jacks

Thanks I hope it works to sure dont want to strip it down and start over ..lol
Jack

Old 03-23-06, 08:15 PM
M
Jackrwild,

I'm withmarksr that as long as it holds well it should be o.k. Time will be the tell all, and if the caulk does shrink you can fill it again, or go the joint compound route.

The biggest question is why it cracked in the first place. But the reality is that if it is a loose joint, you may be able to put a couple screws in carefully, and then retouch only those areas.

And hey, if you only see it if you look carefully when the lights are off, nobody will ever know because they will be more concerned about tripping over a coffee table than looking for some minor touch up work on the ceiling!