Drywall

Old 03-25-06, 01:33 PM
Question Drywall

What is proper size screw to use for 1/2" drywall on wood studs? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 03-25-06 at 03:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-06, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
I've usually seen 1 1/2" or 1 5/8"

Old 03-26-06, 05:08 AM
Wirepuller,

I use #6, 1-1/4, coarse thread in your application.

If you lay the sheets sideways (so each sheet is 4' tall), you should put 1 on each edge, and 2 or 3 in the middle (called "the field"). If the sheets are hung vertically, you should use 5 or 6 for each 8' stud. (20-24 for each sheet).

I recommend using glue on each stud as well. (It is "code" in my area)

I also recommend that you use coated drywall nails for the corner bead, as screws are VERY difficult to get in properly.

If anyone is using metal studs, fine screws should be used in that application.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-26-06, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by MudSlinger
Wirepuller,

I use #6, 1-1/4, coarse thread in your application.

If you lay the sheets sideways (so each sheet is 4' tall), you should put 1 on each edge, and 2 or 3 in the middle (called "the field"). If the sheets are hung vertically, you should use 5 or 6 for each 8' stud. (20-24 for each sheet).

I recommend using glue on each stud as well. (It is "code" in my area)

I also recommend that you use coated drywall nails for the corner bead, as screws are VERY difficult to get in properly.

If anyone is using metal studs, fine screws should be used in that application.

I hope this helps.
Your code requires glue?? Ouch! As a remodeler who has to rip out existing drywall on a regular basis.... I don't look forward to removing drywall in your area of the country..... On the same note - while I like using screws to attach drywall - I hate removing old drywall that's been screwed on.....

Old 03-28-06, 08:14 PM
Zster,

It is a bit of a pain doing patches, although I think that getting the screws back out is just as tough because the heads are filled/painted.

As long as you pull the nails and screws, a very sharp chisel usually scrapes a stud pretty well. If it is a big job, a power planer set at virtually no depth works too.

The beauty of glue is that if the sheet gets wet it doesn't fall on top of the coffee table, or your head, in one giant Bwaa-Bamm! (Have you ever tried to get back to the kitchen to get another beer while wearing a 4x8 sheet of drywall around your kneck? Nobody around here has! )

Search this Thread