Installing Ceramic Tile Help

Old 03-26-06, 08:35 PM
Installing Ceramic Tile Help

I am about to install ceramic tile in my shower and floor in my bathroom. Everything is ready to go, but I have a couple of questions to make the process go smoother. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. What should the consistency of the "mud" be?
2. Is there a specific type of grout that I should be using?
3. When sealing the tiles, what is the best type of sealent to use?
4. I have some tile mud from a previous job, but I'm not sure that it's a water-proof type of mud, does this really matter, as long as the grout and sealent are water-proof?

Thanks for your time and imput!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-06, 05:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What type of wall are you mounting the tile to? drywall or wonder board?
Thin set is usually used for bath tile and always [I think] for floor tile.
Sanded grout is always used on floors while non sanded is used on wall tile.

If you repost in the ceramic tile forum under flooring your post will be seen by pro tile men although some may see it here.

Old 03-27-06, 08:28 PM
After I posted my this posting...I found the flooring section, which you were referring to and posted it there too. Thanks! DIY rookie here!

I put up dura-rock on all the shower walls, as well as the flooring. I THINK it's 1/4" but might have been the next size up. 3/8" ?

Should I buy new thinset? Or is it alright to use the stuff that I have? I'm thinking of maybe getting new stuff, just to be safe.

I was told that the sealant wouldn't waterproof the shower. Is there somethign else that I should be doing to waterproof it?

Also, the tile that I'm using isn't glazed, which the guy at Lowe's said it shouldn't be a problem, but the tile that I bought has a slight "pitted" look...will this matter with it being in a shower? Like I said, the Lowe's guy said it'd be alright, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for your help!

Old 03-28-06, 09:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by deron1228
Should I buy new thinset? Or is it alright to use the stuff that I have

Thin set doesn't necesarrily go bad. If moisture gets to it you will find lumps of harden material which will make it hard to use. As long as it is in a clean powderly form it will stay good for a long time.

Search this Thread