Veneer coat on regular drywall?

Old 03-30-06, 07:26 AM
Question Veneer coat on regular drywall?

Iíve done a bedroom re-model and my original intention was to tape and mud the joints so I used regular drywall. However, I think Iím leaning more towards giving it a veneer coat instead.

The main reason is that I have done a lot of plastering in the past (Iím a British immigrant in the US and we tend not to do the drywall finishing jobs with tape and mud) and I recon I can do this room in a day easily. Iíve never done any traditional drywall finishing before so, while it doesnít look that difficult, there will be a learning curve.

I know I should have used Blueboard (I almost did but decided at the last minute I wanted to tape and mud) but is there a way I can put a veneer coat on regular drywall? Either by applying a primer or using something like PVA.

Cheers

Richie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-06, 08:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Would applying a skim coat of joint compound give you the result you desire?

Old 03-30-06, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by marksr
Would applying a skim coat of joint compound give you the result you desire?
I'm not sure exactly what that means. A skim coat in the UK is taking a finish plaster and applying it with a plastering float.

From what I've seen here, a skim coat is where you roll on joint compound and then smooth it out with a taping knife.

If that's correct, I'd prefer to just get a friend of mine to labor for me while I set about and apply a finish coat of plaster.

If I can't do that, then I'd probably reside myself to doing it the American way.

I'm regretting not putting blueboard up now for sure, if I can't plaster what's there.

Cheers

Old 03-30-06, 08:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know much about plaster but there are members/mods that do, hopefully they will post plaster advice later.

Skim coating is when you [with a knife or trowel] apply a thin coat of mud to the entire drywall surface. Rolling on a thin coat of mud and raking it down with a broad knife is usually done to help remove any imperfections and also slightly seal the paper. I haven't seen anyone do that in years - quality painting will usually do as well.

Old 03-30-06, 10:01 AM
Red face use easy sand 90 min for plaster look

I'm in the process of replastering my old walls now and hve found that three coats of easy sand quick drying joint compound (Comes in powder to mix with water) gives a plaster look.
After making a mess I got the advice to roll it on and pull it off vertically the first pass, then horizontally then vertically again. You can do this relatively quickly-just use your knife in between to skim off any raised lines from edge-after give a good sanding with a pole and 150 and then a wet sponge sandtool for any small imperfections. It gets polished looking like plaster.

Old 03-30-06, 02:44 PM
if you apply a plaster bonder you should be able to put a coat of plaster on.

Old 04-03-06, 01:41 PM
Few tips on drywall finishing.

OK, Iíve decided to do it the ĎAmerican Wayí and tape and mud the drywall.

Few tips;

Iím going to use the Steel backed tape for my inside and outside corners. From what I can tell, I set these on a bed of mud like regular paper tape. Is this correct?

Whatís the best way to progress through the job? Ceiling corners, vertical corners then straight, or different?

Best type of knives to get?

Best type of Mud to use?

Iíll be buying my materials at a big box store so something they carry is preferable.

When Iím putting the final layer on Iím going to use a 12Ē plasterers float/trowel. Can I do re-temper and keep working it to get it nice and smooth or is that not a good idea with mud? Iím a pretty good plasterer but have never done this drywalling gig before.

Any more tips?