Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

plaster walls...how to hang artwork/mirrors?

04-04-06, 12:16 PM   #1  
plaster walls...how to hang artwork/mirrors?

i have plaster walls, building dates 1925...with picture railing throughout the apt. could i use OOK SHIELD picture hangers or should i utilize the original picture rail? some pieces are large and heavy, like antique guilded mirrors...other pieces not so heavy but large. advice needed! thank you....

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

04-04-06, 12:56 PM   #2  
Weight is everything. You be the judge:

When nailing into plaster, it is advised that you put a piece of tape where you plan to nail as this cuts down on the incident of bullseye fracturing of the plaster (especially when you try to remove the nail).

You can drill and screw into plaster. Use a drill bit that is of the same size as the center shank of the screw, not counting the threads.(Start out with a smaler bit to alow for the bit reaming out the hole oversized, because that can happen when driling into a cement-like material.) Then when running in the screw apply steady forward pressure as you run in the screw. You can 'feel' if it 'takes' properly, as opposed to spinning.

Better still, obviously is driling through the plaster into the lath.

Best is drilling through into a stud for *real* heavy stuff. The disadvantage is that you can't always center something where you would like, unless you get creative with the way you mount something.

Hitting the lath should pretty much suffice for most stuff. But you want to drill! Taking the shortcut can lead to the old crunchy lath splitting if you just screw, without drilling. Yo wil be able to 'feel' with the drill to know that you have penetrated lath, and perhaps see some wood in the bit.

If you have one of those fancy gold guilded big framed mirrors, then you want to hang it free of any apparent support, obviously. But for anyone hanging a plain mirror, you can buy yourself some fancy looking shoe or chair rail moulding, or evena 1 X 2,3, or 4, and use this as a ledger to set the bottom of the mirror on.

Search this Thread