Tips - Best Paint for a Bathroom?

Old 04-05-06, 05:01 AM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Tips - Best Paint for a Bathroom?

I am getting ready to paint new bathroom.

Ceiling is "lightly" stippled.

Walls are "green board"

Do I need to paint the ceiling?

What is the best paint to deter any effects from shower steam?

Thanks. FF

Old 04-05-06, 06:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Originally Posted by FairwayFatty
Do I need to paint the ceiling?.

Yes most definetly.

Bath rms should always be painted with enamel, latex enamel is fine. Use whatever sheen you prefer. For extra protection you can use a kitchen and bath paint, it has extra mildewcide.

Old 04-05-06, 08:46 AM
F
Should I use enamel on the stippled ceiling?

Thanks. FF

Old 04-05-06, 08:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, the ceiling gets as much or more moisture from the shower as the walls do. Satin enamel doesn't have a lot of sheen and on textured ceilings won't be all that shiny but will still repell moisture.

Old 04-05-06, 03:48 PM
F
I checked with a local Sherwin-Williams dealer and the guy working there said the to use.......

Oil Base Primer on all walls and stippled ceiling (bath and den)

Satin Acrylic Latex on bathroom walls and ceiling

Flat Latex on walls.

I hate to harp on this but I have spent a lot of time on this basement project and want to make sure I am using the best paint for the application - mainly in the bathroom.

marksr - your opinion is satin latex enamel on bathroom walls and ceiling and flat latex on other walls?

Whats your opininon on the primer.

Thanks.FF

Last edited by FairwayFatty; 04-05-06 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-05-06, 05:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Always use enamel in bath rms. Satin is fine if that is the sheen you prefer [I do] Flat paint is fine for most other walls, enamel is easier to clean [good idea if you got kids ]

If it is new drywall I would use latex primer although oil might be better for untextured green board. Since hardly anyone uses green board anymore I have about forgotten its painting characteristics. Oil primer is generally used when there are bonding or stain hiding issues. It is also good to use on water damaged texture [even if you can't see the damage]

Old 05-13-06, 03:33 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
marksr, why is nobady using green board any more?

I am redoing a bathroom, and thought I would use green broad on the upper half of the walls outside the tub. You mentioned that nobody is using "green board" any more. What are people using instead?

Can I use green board on the ceiling? The bathroom is on the top floor with unheated crawl space above it.

Thanks.

Old 05-13-06, 08:13 PM
Fairway
Visiting Guest
Personally I used it because thats what it is designed for.... I think contractors may not use it because it is easier for them to buy standard sheet rock and not deal with two different types. Just my 2 cents worth.
FF

Old 05-14-06, 12:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Regular drywall paints better than greenboard and as long as enamel paint is used it will repel moisture fine. Greenboard used to be the base for tile around tubs and such, now that they have durarock [cement board] there is no reason to use greenboard.

I have never seen any drywall failures in bathrooms where the drywall was kept painted with an enamel paint [and ventilation was adequate]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: