skim coat over wood paneling


Old 04-05-06, 07:21 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4
skim coat over wood paneling

I've read on some post that people sometimes fill in the lines on wood paneling with joint coumpound and sand it smooth other than removing it. Is it a good idea for cost wise as apposed to removing it and drywalling? If so what the best way to do it? Do I use multiple size knives of just fill the seem with like a 6 or 8 inch knife?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-06, 08:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 43,823
You can fill the grooves with joint compound or spackling. You only want to fill the groove it self. A 3" knife is plenty wide enough but you can use what ever size you have. You will need to apply 2 coats to the grooves. IMO an unfilled groove looks better than a poorly filled one. The inside corners should be caulked along with any wood trim [base, casing, crown]

If the paneling is currently unpainted you should sand and prime with a solvent based primer to insure adhesion. It can then be painted with your choice of paint.
Old 04-05-06, 08:02 PM
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 334
I prefer to take down the paneling and sheetrock it because if the paneling gets hit and flexes it can crack the joint compound.

As marksr said, grooves look better than poorly filled grooves, but drywall will definately top all.

My .02

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes