Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

skim coat over wood paneling

04-05-06, 07:21 AM   #1  
skim coat over wood paneling

I've read on some post that people sometimes fill in the lines on wood paneling with joint coumpound and sand it smooth other than removing it. Is it a good idea for cost wise as apposed to removing it and drywalling? If so what the best way to do it? Do I use multiple size knives of just fill the seem with like a 6 or 8 inch knife?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-05-06, 08:21 AM   #2  
You can fill the grooves with joint compound or spackling. You only want to fill the groove it self. A 3" knife is plenty wide enough but you can use what ever size you have. You will need to apply 2 coats to the grooves. IMO an unfilled groove looks better than a poorly filled one. The inside corners should be caulked along with any wood trim [base, casing, crown]

If the paneling is currently unpainted you should sand and prime with a solvent based primer to insure adhesion. It can then be painted with your choice of paint.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

PA

04-05-06, 08:02 PM   #3  
I prefer to take down the paneling and sheetrock it because if the paneling gets hit and flexes it can crack the joint compound.

As marksr said, grooves look better than poorly filled grooves, but drywall will definately top all.

My .02

Search this Thread