Installing vinyl over tiles

Old 04-11-06, 08:39 AM
Installing vinyl over tiles

Is it possible to place the vinyl sheet tiles over my bathroom ceramic tiles? I tried a search but I was unable to find anything like this. My bathroom os covered with white and gold ceramis tiles which are in great condition but they are horribly ugly and outdated. I wanted to add the vinyl sheeting which I saw at Home Depot over the tiles. Is it possible to place it over the tiles? Or would I have to scrape all the tiles up and add new underlayment etc...
Also can it be done on the tub surround?

I was thinking it can and use caulk to seal it... please advise. Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-06, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by jaslken
Is it possible to place the vinyl sheet tiles over my bathroom ceramic tiles? I tried a search but I was unable to find anything like this. My bathroom os covered with white and gold ceramis tiles which are in great condition but they are horribly ugly and outdated. I wanted to add the vinyl sheeting which I saw at Home Depot over the tiles. Is it possible to place it over the tiles? Or would I have to scrape all the tiles up and add new underlayment etc...
Also can it be done on the tub surround?

I was thinking it can and use caulk to seal it... please advise. Thanks...
You can get away with vinyl over the existing ceramic - but only if you use a "floor leveler" to rid yourself of the "dips" between the tile (grouted portion) - otherwise, in a month or so - your new vinyl will take on the texture of the old tile.....

Old 04-11-06, 12:14 PM
Thanks for your advice.. but the tiles are on the walls of the bathroom as well as the tub surround. They go about 1/2 way up the wall then it is wall board. Would the "leveler" work on the walls or is there something else you recommend?

Old 04-12-06, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by jaslken
Thanks for your advice.. but the tiles are on the walls of the bathroom as well as the tub surround. They go about 1/2 way up the wall then it is wall board. Would the "leveler" work on the walls or is there something else you recommend?
Phew.. tough question.... were it me - I'd remove the old tile and start over... but... that's me....

Honestly - I don't know what to suggest at this point... I might try thinset - floated over the grout lines... to provide a smoother surface....

Old 04-12-06, 08:09 PM
What kind of adhesive do the tiles use?

If you are asking about smoothing out the walls in order to put vinyl tiles on the walls, I don't know if they would stick past the first week of showers. As well, I don't know of anything that would smooth out the walls easily.

I'm with thezster as far as what I would do, and remove the old and put in the new. If it was a "wet bed" for the tiles then you may need a small dumpster, as the wet bed is about 1 to 1-1/2 thick. (bathroom size depending). You could use a 3 pound sledge hammer and 3" or so cold chisel to get it out. Break through one spot about 8" square, then put the cold chisel under the wet bed and lift to break it loose.

If the tiles were glued down, sell the house. (just kidding) If they were glued, it just takes a little more time because you need to break each tile free, and remove all of it.

If you try to break it up using a giant 150 lb "guy sledgehammer" you will also need to do sheetrock crack repair below, as the joists have tile on the top, and rock on the bottom.

Floor leveling compound is as thin as water, so it won't stick to a wall.

I hope this helps.