Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Finishing drywall with skim coat

Visiting Guest

04-17-06, 11:18 AM   #1  
bmellis
Finishing drywall with skim coat

I've almost finished hanging drywall in my living room and was wondering what the best finish would be. I've been following the instructions in a drywall book at the local book store, but someone purchased it so now I'm on my own. The author talked about applying a skim coat of thinned out joint compound with a paint roller. I haven't seen this anywhere else. I think the explanation was that it would make an even texture so that the joints wouldn't show through when the wall is painted. Is this common practice?

Sponsored Links

CT

04-17-06, 12:16 PM   #2  
Drywall joints shouldn't show through the paint if the wall is properly prepped and painted with a quality paint.
I don't think skim coating prior to painting is a common practice, but maybe one of the pros will weigh in on that.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-18-06, 11:01 AM   #3  
I have painted new homes for 35+ years and have only seen new walls skim coated a few times. Good finishing only needs primer and paint. Sometimes a light texture [usually orange peel or knockdown] is used to hide slightly imperfect finishing.

Usually the best method for a DIYer is to slick finish the walls and then use a good drywall primer. If any defects show you can then remud and sand those areas as needed. Once the repairs are done and primed you are ready for paint.

It is common for the mudded areas to slightly show through primer as the mud and the rock will obsorb the primer differently.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

04-18-06, 09:00 PM   #4  
smooth finishing tips..

3 words. High build primer. This stuff is AMAZING! it sprays on thick - (i think you can apply it like 3mil wet) and hides everything! forget the skim coat stuff. You will probably have to rent a paint sprayer that will handle the primer - its thick stuff. (has to be sprayed on to get the high build effect) You might want to check with a pro paint store for more help with it.

not very good with drywall corners? 3 more words. paintable latex caulking. run a bead down the corner and smooth out with your finger like you would when caulkling in a tub, etc. when it dries, it looks excellent. you'll be amazed.

on walls - use a 1/2" nap roller. it will give you a bit more texture and your paint should lay down better. and for gosh sakes use good paint and primer what ever route you go!
- and no flat finish. i prefer eggshell or a super satin..

good luck!

04-19-06, 01:41 AM   #5  
Posted By: bmellis I've almost finished hanging drywall in my living room and was wondering what the best finish would be. I've been following the instructions in a drywall book at the local book store, but someone purchased it so now I'm on my own. The author talked about applying a skim coat of thinned out joint compound with a paint roller. I haven't seen this anywhere else. I think the explanation was that it would make an even texture so that the joints wouldn't show through when the wall is painted. Is this common practice?
Hi bmellis.......................What the guy was refering to , is what some people in the trade call a "level 5 " skim. You put the mud on and pull it as tight as you can. It gives the wall consistent "saturation/absorbtion/texture" for your primer coat. Its just a haze looking coat. It can be done with thinned out mud and a roller. But you will need a second person to take the mud off as you are rolling it on. It needs to be a fast process. be prepared also for getting yourself pretty messy .

Alot of Gov't jobs around the tidewater area, required this as per contract.

The proceedure works nice. You dont see any flats or butts flashing through the paint. USG...........has a first coat system that does the very same thing. But its made to be sprayed over the wall with a spray unit.

heres a little info on "levels of finish" :
http://www.iwal.com/?p=kb&sub=levels

Search this Thread