glue for drywall

Old 04-15-06, 06:47 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
glue for drywall

I have two ceilings in a 1920s house that need to be drywalled over the plaster lathe (too far gone to patch). I have secured all sags with plaster washers and snapped lines to locate studs. It has been suggested to me to also use a lot of glue with the screws. What would be the best to use, construction adhesive like used for subfloors or is there a better drywall adhesive out there?
Thanks Much.

Old 04-15-06, 07:14 PM
M
If you go to the drywall department at the Big Boxes, there is a glue made for drywall. Personally, I don't know if subfloor or drywall glue is better than the other, as I have used subfloor glue for drywall and it didn't fall off or anything.

I would strongly recommend that you buy the big tubes of adhesive, as it is far cheaper than buying the small tubes. I would also recommend being very libral with the glue if you are going over plaster.

As far as a glue gun, There is a manufacturer that makes an orange gun, that has a brass bushing in the back of it. It costs more than the cheapies, but they work fantastically. I wish I knew who made it, but "you'll know it when you see it". The one downside to the gun is that it doesn't have a wire on the front to puncture the glue tube... go figure, great gun, without the "no brainer" feature. But a 3" nail or pencil works fine, and the gun is still worth it.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-15-06, 07:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The name of the stuff is Grabber. You can read about it at www.grabber.com. It is made for drywall.

Old 04-16-06, 05:09 AM
M
Originally Posted by chandler
The name of the stuff is Grabber. You can read about it at www.grabber.com. It is made for drywall.
Are you sure? It looked like the site was for auto collision stuff.

Old 04-16-06, 11:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
They make a grabber for drywall, too. OOps!! I made an error in my url. It should have read www.grabberman.com. Sorry about the confusion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: