Loose Wall Anchor

Old 04-18-06, 12:10 PM
Loose Wall Anchor

I used a plastic wall anchor to put in a toilet paper holder. The holder is "fancy" and also quite heavy. The installation went OK but after repeated use (and replacing the toilet paper) the parts holding the toilet paper holder to the wall are constantly coming loose. When I took to all apart, I noticed that the anchors are not holding in their holes any longer. If I try to turn the screws, one doesn't get any tighter while the other one simply turns with the anchor. I've tried gluing and such but obviously that's a very short term solution. The walls are wallpapered so I can't be very aggresive about pulling the anchors without making the situation worse. What can I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-06, 12:19 PM
The walls are drywall I assume? If so you could pull those anchors (screw the screw almost all the way out and pull the anchor out; use a little screwdriver to hold anchor if needed) and then drill through and attach the fixture with butterfly anchors.

Old 04-18-06, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by wreckwriter
butterfly anchors.

Also called toggle bolts

Old 04-18-06, 05:50 PM
My wife thinks my screws are loose... I told her that hitting me with a frying pan isn't going to tighten up anything....

You could use an auger anchor. It almost looks like an auger for drilling a hole in the ground.

You screw that into the wall, then the screw that holds the toilet paper holder gets screwed into the middle of it.

(Toggle bolts would work too)

I hope this helps.

Old 04-18-06, 06:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In addition to the previous posts, look for a product called EZAnchor 90. They are the auger type that have a toggle attached. You don't have to make a large hole for the toggle to pass through, and it hold 90 lbs vertical weight.