Aluminium framed wall partition info?

Old 04-19-06, 11:03 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Aluminium framed wall partition info?

Dear all DIYers,

I've searched the net for any DIY information about building partition wall with aluminium frame, but not luck, it seems like it's not available widely......

i'm looking for building some partition walls with aluminium framing for no-load purpose to utilize the space of the shop i have. It;ll be built on a pour-concrete floor, not wood.

Any links or help will be appreciated very much!!

THanks,
Andy

Old 04-19-06, 11:12 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Andy - Are you talking about metal studs? If so, they are light weight steel and pretty common. Just Google "metal studs".

Old 04-19-06, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Installing metal studs and associated parts is not really too much different than regular wood stuff. The bottom "plate" is actually a channel you attach to the floor using a powder actuated gun with 3/4" pins and a light load; the top plate, ditto, but with screws into your ceiling joisting; the studs placed in the bottom and top channels and screwed in. All your electrical holes are predrilled (just be sure to use the proper grommet when passing cable through them). I set a 2x4 in the stud adjacent to doorways, and make a header from lumber, but since yours is not load bearing, you could probably use what is provided. But like Wayne said, just google metal studs, and the manufacturers' pages will probably give you a pdf file on installation. Good luck!!

Old 04-20-06, 04:37 AM
A
Thanks alot Wayne and Chandler, you guys r really helpful, i know the correct term "metal studs" rather than metal frame or aluminium extrusion and so on.... thanks!

btw, nailing the bottom (and maybe top) metal track/channel into concrete is a pain especially using powder gun-type firing tool, which seems impossible to get one here for me..... would it be possible by using plastic wall plug + screw instead? what about using tile mortar to "stick" the metal bottom n top track to the concrete surface?? i m just guessing......

i hv seen some aluminium framing guys installing aluminium studs for partition wall. but i can't remember seeing them using any powder gun to nail down the bottom or top track into concrete.... any ideas?

Old 04-20-06, 05:18 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I wouldn't use mortar. Not only would it not do the job, but it's probably not to code.
Powder nailers are really simple to use and a single shot manual gun costs less than $30. I would go with the powder nailer. If that isn't an option, you might be able to use Tap Con screws.

Old 04-20-06, 07:18 PM
M
If I couldn't use a ramset powder load, I would use tapcons.

I would also use adhesive under the bottom plate to hold it to the concrete. You need fewer tapcons, and it will also seal around the tapcon hole to reduce the potential of water seeping up through the tapcon hole if you live in an area with a high water table.

My .02

Old 04-24-06, 04:07 AM
A
wall plug...

thanks again for the great info....

i hv visited some hardware store and found that powder gun might be too expensive for this diy job. However, i think Tap Con concrete screw might do for me. BUT, i have recently seen some metal studs builders here framing up the metal studs. They simply hammer drilled the concrete floor beneath the metal stud Track, corresponding to the predrilled whole along the metal Track. Later, they just fill the concrete holes with red colour plastic WALL PLUG and screw (counter sunk csk screw) into the wall plug, thus holding the metal frame bottom track to the floor. Same for concrete ceiling.....

WALL PLUG, anyone suggests anything???

I know powder gun nailer will be fast and clean, but it's pricey tho. Tap con, will it hold well?

Thanks again every helpful guys here!
Andy

Old 04-26-06, 07:44 PM
M
Tapcons hold very well. If you put down a bead of glue as well, you should be good to go.

Old 05-01-06, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
You might be describing this type of fastener:

http://www.ramset-redhead.com/nylondrive_prod01.asp

Its just one of many kinds you could choose from. As mentioned, tapcons are probably one of the easiest.

Old 05-02-06, 06:58 AM
A
thanks guys... xsleeper, i think wat i hv seen that contractor using for partition was exactly like what u show in the link, i jz dont know the name.... the pin (or screw) is pre-fixed into the plug....

thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: