Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sound Proofed Ceilings?

04-19-06, 07:13 PM   #1  
Sound Proofed Ceilings?

I recently just installed 5/8" sheet rock over my existing ceiling trying to create a better sound barrier. I screwed 1 x 2 (actually they are 3/4" x 2") Firring strips 16" on center perpendicular to the existing ceiling joists. I then screwed (using 1 1/4" sheet rock screws) Resilient Channelling perpendicular to the firring strips and spaced the channels every 12" on center. I then put up 12' x 4' 5/8" sheet rock using 1 1/4" sheet rock screws and screwed it to the channelling.

I have not yet sealed the perimeter or the seams between the sheet rock with the foam and chalking. I also have two deep electrical boxes one for the ceiling fan in the living room and one for the light fixture in the dinning room.

I'm worried about proceeding from here because the noise seems to be worse than it was before I started this project. I had just the firring strips up for about 3 months before adding the channelling and didn't notice a difference in the noise level. When I added the channelling and sheet rock the noise level increased. I thought I should have about the same noise level that I did previous to adding the channeling and sheetrock. Once I sealed everything I thought I would then have a even lower noise level.

Did I do something wrong or will this noise problem be solved once I finish sealing the perimeter and joints between the sheet rock?

Thanks as I'm stressing big time!

Mike

Sponsored Links

PA

04-20-06, 07:31 PM   #2  
I am not real familiar with soundproofing, although it seems as though you created a "drum" on the ceiling. Fixing the gaps should make things quieter than they are, although soundproofing material and insulations are the more prominent methods to reduce noise transmission through a joist or stud bay.

I question if the amount of silencing by taping the seams is going to be noticable without using measurement equipment.

Again, I don't have much experience in soundproofing, so I would ask around a bit, and wouldn't make any drastic changes based on my information.

I am sorry I didn't have a "sure fire" answer.

Regards,
Mudslinger

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-21-06, 03:58 AM   #3  
I agree with Mudslinger. You must have soft materials between the walls/floor/ceilings to effect sound deadening. With solid materials, you are creating nothing more than a transmission point, and I think filling the voids will help. But maybe someone with more experience with sound proofing will chime in with more help.

Search this Thread