Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can a old work box support a 19lb light

04-21-06, 09:18 AM   #1  

Can a old work box with a bracket on the bottom of the sheetrock support a 19lb. light? The box will be 2" from a stud in the ceiling. Trying to avoid cutting my sheetrock, Any Suggestions?

Sponsored Links

04-21-06, 09:21 AM   #2  

Can a old work box with a bracket on the bottom of the sheetrock support a 19lb. light? The box will be 2" from a stud in the ceiling. Trying to avoid cutting my sheetrock, Any Suggestions?

04-21-06, 09:24 AM   #3  

Forum Topic Moderator

MD

04-21-06, 09:30 AM   #4  
First off, old work boxes normally do not have brackets on the bottom. Old work boxes normally have a flange on the front edge to stop the box from dropping thru the wall and some sort of a flipout wing on the back to grab the drywall.

Second, is this box round or rectangular? Rectangular boxes have a 6 lb weight limit.

Here is a link to the FAQ from Carlon, see page 8

http://www.carlon.com/FAQs/FAQ-ZipBoxes.pdf

You may want to consider a fan brace with the spreader bars.

04-21-06, 09:35 AM   #5  
The bracket is from the light and would sandwich the sheetrock. If that's not good enough, I'll guess I'll have to cut my sheetrock. The box is round

04-21-06, 11:55 AM   #6  

Posted By: Angry Neighbors Can a old work box with a bracket on the bottom of the sheetrock support a 19lb. light? The box will be 2" from a stud in the ceiling. Trying to avoid cutting my sheetrock, Any Suggestions?
I'm a novice but I don't believe the weight would be safely held in place. I would prefer to fasten a piece of 2" x 4" fastened between the ceiling studs to act as a support.

Not what you want to hear; but that is my 2 cents worth.

Andy

CT

04-21-06, 02:43 PM   #7  
Cut the sheetrock, install a suitable box supported by the joists and patch the ceiling. It's really not that hard.
No way would I hang nearly 20# from sheetrock.

CANADA

04-21-06, 03:32 PM   #8  
You don't need to cut the sheetrock. They make a bracket that fits into the hole the size of a box and fastens to the joists on either side of the hole.

http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index...4151CFB-BHL-OW

04-21-06, 05:32 PM   #9  
Ended up buying this bracket, only learned about it on this forum. Thank you so much!!!

http://www.westinghouseceilingfans.com/ac_fanbrace.html

04-21-06, 05:34 PM   #10  
Ended up buying this bracket, Only learned about it on this forum. Thank you so much!!!

http://www.westinghouseceilingfans.com/ac_fanbrace.html

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-21-06, 07:15 PM   #11  
You hit all the forums, didn't you?

CT

04-22-06, 05:27 AM   #12  
JoeD - I looked at the link you posted. I couldn't figure out how the box attaches to the joists. Are the support arms jacked out in some manner from inside the box?

Visiting Guest

04-22-06, 07:17 AM   #13  
Marny
JoeD, I'm with Wayne on this question! Do you have to cut the sheetrock anyhow to connect this bar? Photo looks like it is to be screwed in place???

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-22-06, 10:07 AM   #14  
The ones I use have spikes on a plate on either end, and the bar rests on the plate which spaces it exactly the correct height for the installation of the box. You reach up into the hole and, while pulling down slightly to keep the plates from rotating, twist the bar until it all seats. There are two "U" bolts that you roll over the top of the bar, place the box up onto the u-bolts and attach with provided nuts.

Search this Thread