Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Ceiling water damage in condo living room

Old 04-27-06, 11:04 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Our condo in MA has an active water damage for 8 years. The management company painted the stains twice, (it is more than 3 feet long, and the mildew covers two ceiling panels under the paint) the stains are coming back, the ceiling is swelling, and bending, but solid. There are no pipes above the living room, no access of any water pipe. However, there is a wall air conditioner unit in every living room, and there is one above the area we have the water damage. The previous tenant changed the air conditioner, but not the sleeve. The units were built more than 30 years ago. The only possibility to get water in my living room, between the units is from a rotten air conditioner sleeve that is leaking through and the wall cavaty around the AC.
When it rained heavily, the spot appeared again, and started dripping through the wall.
Does it make sense to hire dry wall experts to change the ceiling panels before my upstairs neighbors repairs her rotten evaporate pan of her air conditioner and install it properly? Also, what is the cost of installation for two ceiling panels in Boston?

I greatly appreciate your advice with this problem!

Old 04-27-06, 12:56 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Need to fix the leak first! You said it has mold on it. You will have to get a mold company in their to remove the sheet rock.

Old 04-28-06, 01:59 AM
M
I would definately fix the leak before repairing the drywall.

You said that the leak covered "two panels". I am not clear if that means the bad area is two full drywall panels, or if the damage just crosses a seam.

With drywall, patches often times cross seams without having to remove the entire piece of drywall; as only the bad area needs to be cut out.

In my area (S.E. PA), if the total area is about 4'x8' or just under, the repair would most likely cost about $200-$250. A 3x3 patch may cost a little less ($150-$175).

Some molds aren't bad, other molds are very bad. If a mold company has to remove the drywall the costs could be quite different. I am not familiar enough with molds and mildews to comment on which are serious.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-28-06, 08:03 AM
G
Mold is black colored, but caused no health problems

Thank you for the advice!
So mold company definitely something I have to look for. Is the sheet rock above the dry wall? Sheet rock comes first, than dry wall? Patching is something we did already successfully and we would be able to do. But the damaged wall includes two full dry wall panel, and effects across another third panel.
The house is managed by a management company and the manager put it in writing 8 years ago that the origination of the problem will be determined. It was part of our purchase agreement!!!! He did not declare anything yet.
I am thinking to hire a building inspector since my manager doesn’t do anything.
If the dry wall panels collapse into my unit who is responsible for the damage?

Old 04-29-06, 05:41 PM
M
Drywall and sheetrock are one in the same. it is probably 5/8 or 1/2 inches thick. 2 full sheets would need to be repaired; while the damage to the third sheet could be cut out and repaired.

I am not familiar enough with contracts and liabilities to give advice whether the condo association, your homeowners insurance, or the person who caused the leak would be liable for the cost to repair.

If you do the repair yourself, you could rent a drywall lift for about $30 which would save the top of your head from getting sore, although if you are not responsible for the costs, you may consider having a drywall contractor doing it.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-29-06, 07:43 PM
G
Is a permit necessary to fix the ceiling yourself?

Thank you very much for your advice!
Do you know if a construction permit is necessary to do this job yourself?
Also, where do you obtain the permit?
From the city hall or town hall?

Old 05-02-06, 08:31 PM
M
Usually a repair such as that doesn't require a building permit, as the drywall was already there, and you are just fixing it.

This said, you may want to consider calling your local township and asking (call the township building and they could probably lead you to the right office). Or, you can look in the blue pages of your phone book.

The way I would phrase the situation (from the way I have interpreted your posts), is "I have two pieces of drywall in the ceiling that have some water damage, and I want to fix it. Will I need to get some kind of permit to cut out the damaged drywall and put in a patch?"

It is easy to make something small sound big, but in the world of permits and inspections, the bigger one makes it sound- the more red tape they make you buy to gift wrap your problem.

By all means, tell them the truth; but keep in mind that you can make a pothole sound like a sinkhole, and by the time you realize your error and convince them otherwise, they have already condemned your house, and evacuated your neighbors!

I hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: