Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can someone please tell me how I can tell if I have drywall or plaster?

05-09-06, 08:41 AM   #1  
Can someone please tell me how I can tell if I have drywall or plaster?

I'm not sure what the difference is or how to tell. The internet has not been much help as far as search engines go. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

05-09-06, 08:54 AM   #2  
Any way of removing a small piece of baseboard molding? Then you could chip off some or tell by the bottom of the wall surface. Just a thought. Good luck.

VA

05-09-06, 09:43 AM   #3  
Try removing an electrical wall plate and see if you can view the surrounding wall materials around the elctrical box.Drywall will only be around 1/2 or 5/8 in thick,have a thin white layer with gray underneath and be somewhat crumbly.Plaster is all white,much harder and thicker with either wood or metal lathe behind it.

05-09-06, 10:09 AM   #4  
Drywall is gypsum (chalky white material) between sheets of paper. Plaster is harder, usually deeply textured, and applied over lath (thin horizontal wood planks). The latter is also stronger than the former.

PA

05-10-06, 02:27 AM   #5  
If your house was built in the 70's or newer, you probably have drywall.

If you remove a switch or outlet plate and you see paper virtually "on the surface" (just behind the paint) you have drywall (also called sheet rock).

If there is a thin (about 1/8") layer of white plaster just below the paint surface, backed by a thicker (about 1") layer of rough concrete looking stuff, with no paper just below the surface, it is plaster.

If your house was built pre-1960's it is most likely plaster over either wood lathe, or a drywall type board called "blue board".

I hope this helps.

Search this Thread