Plaster over drywall

Old 05-09-06, 10:12 AM
Plaster over drywall

I posted this in Faux Finishing, but i'm not getting any hits over there.

I have a hole in an interior wall and the sheet rock appears to have a 1/8 inch layer of plaster on the outside. The plaster layer is textured and very uniform. The hole is roughly 7 x 5 inches. I have experience patching holes in drywall, but this seems like it will be more difficult. Can I use drywall mud to try to recreate the texture pattern? What is the best way to recreate that pattern? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-06, 02:09 AM
It sounds as though your situations is probably joint coumpound over drywall to create a texture.

Keep in mind that you will first need to repair the hole in a "smooth" fashion (using tape and joint compound) so the edge seams won't crack; after which, you apply some more joint coumpound to create the texture.

To duplicate textures can be tricky at times. You may need to try a roller, a sponge, a joint compound knife, a stiff brush, or the like until you find a medium that matches the existing wall.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-10-06, 09:37 AM
There must be dozens of posts here about how to patch the hole.
Mudslinger is right about all of what he told you. Matching textures can be done by experimentation. Get some scraps of drywall at a construction site. Ask first but almost anyone will let you have some junk. Use part of it to patch the hole and the rest to try different textures. Once you try a few you can start to figure out what is closest. Mud consistency and timing before you knock it down (if it needs knocked down) all make a difference.
Have a little fun with this. If all you have is a simple orange peel or spatter texture you can get aerosol stuff that duplicates it pretty well. A can will do several holes the size you describe. You don't have unlimited material to experiment with, however. One other thing. Some textures are made with aggregated material On sides it's usually sand. Paint stores have some stuff that might work or clean washed masonry sand run through a window screen or finer might work.
Do do this repair should take no more than 20 minutes. To get the texture tight could take you a half a day. Have fun and report back. Maybe before and after pictures?

Old 05-10-06, 05:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Basics
I posted this in Faux Finishing, but i'm not getting any hits over there.

I have a hole in an interior wall and the sheet rock appears to have a 1/8 inch layer of plaster on the outside. The plaster layer is textured and very uniform. The hole is roughly 7 x 5 inches. I have experience patching holes in drywall, but this seems like it will be more difficult. Can I use drywall mud to try to recreate the texture pattern? What is the best way to recreate that pattern? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
For holes that do not span studs...I like to patch holes in my soon-to-be described fashion... and I have watched home improvement shows on how-to... and I believe my method is better, as you will be able to screw and/or glue the patch on all 4 sides, instead of 2!

No matter what your hole size now is...cut it markedly rectangular. This will allow you to cut a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood to fit through the hole so that when you turn it in the wall, you will be able to have the plywood be bigger on all 4 sides than the cut-out!. Thusly you can either put adhesive (silicone caulk or regular builders adhesive) to sandwich between the plywood and the back of the sheetrock, and/or screw the plywood on all 4 sides.

How to hold it? First mark, then drill a hole in the center of the patch so you can center it behind the cut-out and run a screw partialy into the center hole and lock a vice-grips on it. Then as you pull hard toward you, with it in the wall, you drill then run in your all-purpose (sheetrocking-type) screws.

Believe it or not..with my method and when acclamating the plywood to the room first, and then cutting a piece of sheetrock to fit over the plywood to fil in the hole, somewhat undersize on purpose by about a good 1/8 inch or better...I use the hard setting Durobond powder mix w/water, and I have simply filled in/skim coated with no paper tape and not had any cracks show up!

But if you don't trust it and want to tape anyway, just be careful not to put too much mud down before the tape, or you will wind up with this hump there. Because if you do...that means you will have to feather your mud way out on all 4 sides to try to hide that bulge caused by the tape. That is why I have gone the tapeless route many times. (I do such experiments frist in college rental houses, where I learn these different tricks)

Old 05-11-06, 03:21 PM
Thumbs up

I should have searched. I was just in a rush to get this done, and was lazy about looking.

I also didn't realize until later that even if it was plaster over drywall, which it is, that I could replicate the finish just as easily. The hardest part is getting the texture pattern to match up. The hole is in a pretty high profile spot. I plan on being creative, but was hoping for some experienced suggestions on how to do that. I'll post pics when I'm finished. Thanks for the help so far.