Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What to put under plastered ceiling in bathroom

05-13-06, 04:20 PM   #1  
What to put under plastered ceiling in bathroom

The bathroom I am redoing has a plastered ceiling. There is an unheated attic/crawl space above it with faced insulation between the joists. The plastered ceiling does not have a good finish, so I thought I would cover it with green board.

Question 1: Would the green board create a problem with moisture being trapped between the board, the plastered ceiling and/or the insulation? Would plain sheet rock be better? [I'll be using green board on the untiled bathroom walls.] If neither is recommended, what should I do? I am very sensitive to mildew.

Question 2: Someone on the forum mentioned that green board does not pass inspection in some areas. Why so? Is NJ one of these areas?

Sponsored Links

KS

05-16-06, 06:07 AM   #2  
Your not supposed to put greenboard on the ceiling with 16" oc because of sagging. 12" on center joists are fine. but since your are laminating over plaster you will be fine. Use a lot of glue and long screws. Don't worry about moisture build up.

Search this Thread