Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ceiling- replace or no?

05-20-06, 09:34 AM   #1  
ceiling- replace or no?

removed old plaster and lather in bathroom and now i'm wondering if should do the ceiling?????????????

ceiling seems to be in good shape. some noticable cracks but they are in the layes of paint. i have sanded off half the ceiling and it honeslty appears to be fine.

i'm worried about it sagging or cracking or falling in the next few years. i'm unfamilar with this so perhaps i'm worried over nothing. lol

any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-20-06, 12:40 PM   #2  
If it is in good shape and you can finish it to your satisfaction, your fears of it falling don't seem to be founded. I would butt the walls up to the ceiling and finish it. Are you planning on an exhaust fan, or do you already have one? It would help with the moisture.

05-20-06, 01:16 PM   #3  
thanks for replying.

no to the fan.

as weird as it may be, moisture never seemed to be a problem.

i had a leak in my roof and the tiles that were put up before i bought the house were slapped up on greenboard and the practicly melted off the wall and the green board turned into mud.

i take really hot showers and i never seemed to have a fogged mirror.

i dunno if this has been b/c there is NO insulation on the outside wall of the bathroom or not.

i do plan to put up insalation. thats another question....any special insulation i should use????

thanks again,
Liz

GA

05-20-06, 05:14 PM   #4  
Liz: Your walls are probably 2x4, so the best you could get would be R13 kraft faced (vapor barrier). You don't want to compress insulation as that would devoid the properties of the insulation. Do you have a window in the bathroom? If not, kiss whatever finish you put on the ceiling before you put it up, as it will not stay with hot showers and nowhere for the steam to go. I highly recommend a fan, or at least a window (never figured the code on that -- no fan if there is a window -- who wants to open an window in Manitoba in January - go figure)

05-20-06, 06:23 PM   #5  
Posted By: chandler Liz: -- who wants to open an window in Manitoba in January - go figure)
The Finns? Who take saunas up north and then go out and roll in the snow?

GA

05-21-06, 07:02 AM   #6  
Certain things you can't legislate, right? God called for "rain" and they thought he said "brains".

GA

05-21-06, 07:02 AM   #7  
Certain things you can't legislate, right? God called for "rain" and they thought he said "brains".

GA

05-21-06, 07:02 AM   #8  

GA

05-21-06, 07:04 AM   #9  
Got an error message, and then triple the posts. Hmmm. Something ain't right.

05-21-06, 07:53 AM   #10  
thanks for the reply.

i just measured the space betwee the framing and it ranges from 8.5, 9.5.14 and 14.5.

this may explain why they never put up insulation to began with. i dunno.

i do have a window. I know i should put in a fan but i had decided to not do that in the begining of this project and that i wouldn't be replacing ceiling either. recently i questioned if i should replace ceiling and if i were to replace it i would in fact add the fan.

however, at this point i am not going to replace ceiling.

so, since the space between the framing isn't the size of normal inulation, does that mean i'll need to cut it????

i'm about to head off to menards to pick up the insulation. i'll hope and pray one of the workers will be ablet to sheed a little more light on this.

btw, i had a home repair book but recently left it somewhere and cannot find it. that book was of great help.....lol

thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GA

05-22-06, 04:38 PM   #11  
Yeah, you will have to cut the insulation to fit the voids. Don't pack it too tightly as it will lose its insulation properties. Good luck.

05-22-06, 08:14 PM   #12  
thank you all.

got the insulation up and the shower area all drywalled in.

now i'm dealing w/ unlevel walls and the alcove/3pc shower inserts aren't lineing up.

uhg~!

i just read 4 pages in the bathroom section and couldn't find anything. now i'm going to google the internet to see what i can find. if i find nothing, i'll be making another post.

the inserts didn't come w/ directions.

Search this Thread