Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacement ceiling tiles

05-29-06, 07:33 PM   #1  
Replacement ceiling tiles

I have a 1976 Fugua First Cabin mobile home that I am getting ready to sell. One of the ceiling panels was damaged and must be replaced. I am doubtfull that I could find a match but where does one go to buy ceiling panels for moblie homes? I think they are 16" on center with the center piece that holds the panels in place. If I could find one and paint it to match I would be good to go....Thanks...Rohey

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-30-06, 04:05 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums Rohey

I don't know if replacement ceiling panels are available. Whenever I have replaced any MH ceilings I have done so with sheetrock [did complete ceiling] but this usually requires beefing up the "truss" system.

If there is a MH repair or parts center near you I would ask them. I would think your best bet would be if you could find a MH that is being scrapped out and possibly get a ceiling panel from it.

The panels are on 16" centers, 4' wide and the width of the MH
Would it be feasable to use a drop ceiling panel [2'x4'] to patch the damaged area? Wouldn't be a perfect match but if large enough to replace the damaged portion it might not look too bad once caulked and painted.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

06-01-06, 08:03 PM   #3  
Most of the ceiling panels have been patterned 2' on center to match the older mfd homes(2' ceiling/roof joists), although there are the 16'' patterns also. I know of about 15 distributors in the US of them.

Rohey if you would PM me your location, I can line you up with some closest to you

Something to remember, the lion's share of the older mfd homes* have 2x3 roof/ceiling joists....which need cleaned off well, from staples and nails, glue,etc.

Re: HUD's certifications, older than June 76 is mobile home, not trailer

after June 1976 are considered mfd.homes, whether they have T1-11 or are tin-sides.

Glad I could hop in and help!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-02-06, 04:19 AM   #4  
Most of the ceiling panels have been patterned 2' on center to match the older mfd homes(2' ceiling/roof joists), although there are the 16'' patterns also.

All the older MHs that I have worked on had the ceilings on 16" centers.

Something to remember, the lion's share of the older mfd homes* have 2x3 roof/ceiling joists....which need cleaned off well, from staples and nails, glue,etc.

Every older MH that I have replaced ceilings in had a truss system made from 1"x2"s with paneling gussets. The glue is usually dried out and easily removed but the staples and screws can be fun

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread