Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Question about stripping wallpaper....

06-12-06, 03:30 PM   #1  
Question about stripping wallpaper....

We have stripped wallpaper from a bathroom and plan to re-texturize the walls with joint compound. Before I do this, is it absolutely critical to remove every trace of the old wallpaper and paste? There are some spots that I've scraped, soaked, scraped again and it's still hanging on! For the most part it's gone, but would it be ok to just leave the little bits?

The walls were left smooth to facilitate putting up wallpaper so I'm afraid if I scrape too much I'll be scraping off the primer. Also, should I re-prime before or after I put the joint compound on? Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can give me!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-12-06, 05:17 PM   #2  
Try sanding the stubborn areas. You only need to prime prior to patching if the drywall paper has been torn off.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

06-12-06, 05:53 PM   #3  
Thank you for your answer.....

but of course this raises another question (or two). To explain further, we're planning on using joint compound (instead of venetian plaster) to cover and texturize the walls now that the wallpaper is gone, much like the guy wants to do in this thread.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=250736

Then we will be painting. I know I need to prime the joint compound after I've applied it before I paint, but to be more specific, I was asking if I need to prime the surface before I apply the joint compound after I get the wall all cleaned up. These are smooth walls that I assume the builder had painted, then the previous owner put up the wallpaper.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-13-06, 04:50 AM   #4  
The only times you need to prime prior to using j/c is when the gypsum is exposed or the surface has a high gloss [which sanding will usually take care of]

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread