Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page > Help Wanted with drywall compound disaster!!

Help Wanted with drywall compound disaster!!

Old 06-25-06, 08:06 PM
Question Help! Drywall compound/mud nightmare

My husband and I are in the process of renovating our new home. Unfortunately the previous owners took many shortcuts in the finishing and painting of walls prior to selling. They have 'patched' walls all over the house with big ol' blobs of drywall compound....and didn't sand them out! To make it worse they actually applied two coats of paint to them and carried on to other rooms to proceed with their DIY nightmares. HELP! The sanding of these blobs is going to be the end of us. Any ideas on how to make this go easier/faster? I've used sanding blocks in various grits, sponges, and even an electric hand sander (these blobs are huge).

Any advice or suggestions would be VERY appreciated.

Last edited by bustersgirl; 06-25-06 at 09:01 PM. Reason: rename
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-06, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

Latex wall paint nevers sands well. It may be advisable to use a scraper, then sand and repatch. Sometimes you can float more j/c next to the repair and hide it that way.

hope this helps

Old 06-26-06, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
*I* just had to go through this with that real rubbery spackle. I hand sanded with 36 g paper and gave up. I went out to my vehicle and got out the big guns: My auto body type grinder/sander/polisher. Ha. I made quick work out of it. But a sander like this will turn latex paint to gum and you have to periodically scrape off the emory-type sanding discs. I didn't worry about rotary scratch marks. I reskimmed tight with mud. Came out nice after fresh paint.

Old 07-01-06, 05:14 PM
Thank you for the advice....I'll keep plugging away at it!

Old 07-02-06, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I like the fact that you posted back. If anything else goes wrong in your house, or you want to know how to go about doing something the right way, this is the place to come. This forum covers everything.

Search this Thread